Calculators!

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by MissAussie, Oct 5, 2007.

1. MissAussie

MissAussie Member

Starting from next year's exams, our calculators have to be the same as
    the ones on this list:
    http://www.actuaries.org.uk/Display_Page.cgi?url=/students/exams_calculators.html

* Casio FX85ES (changed)
    * Hewlett Packard HP9S
    * Hewlett Packard HP 12C Platinum
    * Sharp EL531WB
    * Texas Instruments BA II Plus
    * Texas Instruments TI-30XIIB

Now I'm a bit annoyed about this, I have a Casio FX82MS which is virtually identical to the Casio FX85ES (I think the only difference is the Casio FX85ES has solar power!!)

But that's not what this post is about. Rather, I'd like to know what people recommend. After doing my research I have eliminated
    * Hewlett Packard HP 12C Platinum
    * Texas Instruments BA II Plus
    These are more expensive calculators, can calculate Internal Rate of Returns etc, which is useful, but I can't justify paying US$90 for them! Also they've received some bad reviews on amazon, mainly due to their clunkiness and bad keys.

I've also eliminated * Hewlett Packard HP9S
    because it only has a 1 line display.

So what would you pick?
    * Casio FX85ES (changed)
    * Sharp EL531WB
    * Texas Instruments TI-30XIIB
    These all have 2 line displays...

2. bystander

bystander Member

You're the one that has to use it so it's your choice.

Like you say, some are clunkier than others so find the one that fits your 'finger style' best. Never mind what others have.

3. hi5

hi5 Member

Casio is the King.
    imho

4. Muppet

Muppet Member

5. Jooser

Jooser Member

I have a Casio FX83-MS, I don't think it is able to anything particularly important that the FX85-MS can't. Does anybody think it is likely that the Institute will make a further change to allow this calculator, or am I going to have to go and buy a new one?

Best,

Joe

6. RyuVI

RyuVI Member

Can any of these calculators do Normal distribution?

7. Gareth

Gareth Member

You can still use a sliderule and logarithm tables ;-)

8. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

Yes, the Casio one can. It can also do matrices calculations providing they are no bigger than 3 x 3.

9. Which Casio one? I've just bough the Casio fx-85ES and can't see how to do the normal distribution on it :rolleyes:

10. Avanbuiten? Anyone? How do you use the casio one to do the normal distribution?? :confused:

11. Louisa

Louisa Member

I've had an fx85ES for a couple of years, and am convinced you can't do normal distn functions - perhaps Avanbuiten is thinking of a different one? Would be happy to be proved wrong though!
    L

12. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

That is using the CASIO fx-570MS (which I used at Uni & for assignments).

Sorry I thought it was my fx85ES one (which I use in exams), but actually I don't think that one has such functionality.

btw... the two calculators look very similar. You have to have a close look to see they are different. So be careful you don't unintentionally take the wrong one to the exam. That would be an easy mistake to make.

If you still want to try though:

ON
    MODE
    MODE
    SHIFT

You now have a few options:

P( will give you the probability of being less than the value you enter, based on the standard normal distn (so use a z-score as your value).

e.g. P(1.6449) = 0.95

R( for greater than.

Experiment with the others to see what they do!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2007
  13. examstudent

examstudent Member

Fx 85 Es

HI
    am trying to adapt to this calculator to get ready for new regulations next year

would appreciate some help on teh following

on my claculator FX85ES, it alwyas seems to give thE answer in fractions (i.e 81/250)
    how do you turn into decimal format?

many thanks

14. Louisa

Louisa Member

Shift-setup, option 2:LineIO

While we're on the subject, anyone know what options 7 and 8 on that menu do?

Cheers,
    L

15. xdorax

xdorax Member

I am actually thinking between casio and sharp too.

I have always been using casio since before GCSE so it makes sense for me to use casio. However, function wise, are there any difference between the two?