calculator

Discussion in 'SP6' started by AAStuck, Nov 17, 2008.

1. AAStuck

AAStuck Member

Only the following calculators are permitted in the exam:

* Casio FX85 (with or without any suffix)
    * Hewlett Packard HP9S
    * Hewlett Packard HP 12C (with or without any suffix)
    * Sharp EL531 (with or without any suffix)
    * Texas Instruments BA II Plus (with or without any suffix)
    * Texas Instruments TI-30 (with or without any suffix)

However, the course suggest Casio FX991ES as this has the normal distribution, hence will save time !

Can anyone recommend a calculator that is permitted and has the normal distribution ?

Thanks.

AA

2. didster

didster Member

I can't tell which one has the normal distribution but the Sharp EL531 does not - that's one off the list.

3. Louisa

Louisa Member

Pretty sure none of the calculators on the list have a normal distribution function. I've seen the Casio and the Texas BAII Plus ones and they don't.

I'm not sure if the ST6 examiners have realised this though!

4. didster

didster Member

Well the Acted tutors don't seem to have updated thier notes to suit (unless you're using an older version)

I personally don't think the examiners care and expect that interpolating from the normal tables could be done quickly enough where necessary in the exam.

(Although I wouldn't be surprised that they overloooked this when they (hastily) decided to limit calculators.)

5. AAStuck

AAStuck Member

Thanks for all your replies.

I am using the 2008 version of the notes. I guess they forgot to update the notes when the calculator list was compiled.
    I hate interpolating !

What calculator do most find handy for ST6? im tempted to get the Texas Instruments BA II Plus…..

6. examstudent

examstudent Member

BA2 PLUS is not scientific calc
    it is very odd to use for a matsh paper

try casio