CA3? Why do we still need it before 2019?

Discussion in 'CA3' started by KoLDB, Nov 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. KoLDB

KoLDB Member

With the new curriculum in 2019, one important changes to us is that CA3 is removing the presentation elements. (Yes, finally)
    Unfortunately for us still stuck with it, that means nothing changes for the next two years! Yes, two years.
    Surely the profession could do better than this when it is without doubt now this exam fails to deliver at its current format so why wait until 2 years later.
    So still low pass rates in the next two years then suddenly a surge in qualifications? Or somehow they would "adjust" the new exam to match this low pass rate? The transparency and communications by the profession to its members are so one-sided that they would fail easily in the CA3 exam they designed, yes....not enough eye contact..

2. bobbathejobba

bobbathejobba Member

Here's some data on the pass rates under the previous CA3 written exam:
    upload_2016-11-4_10-34-56.png

Hopefully you can now update your estimate of the current "low pass rate" using Bayesian estimation. ;)

3. Anacts

Anacts Member

perhaps they won't wait 2 years and bring this one in a bit sooner!?! No guarantee the changes will make it easier to pass of course.

4. KoLDB

KoLDB Member

Wow didn't know it was that bad before.
    Still cannot justify the current exam format. You can increase the mark all you like but if the exam is not fit for purpose, it stays as that until you change it. It just feels like with the profession, everything just slows down when it comes to improvements and adapting to the changes.
    Wouldn't the best way to improve communication is to set up training course and group project work instead? It does not always need to be an exam to train members you know!

5. almost_there

almost_there Member

If pass rates are due to poor standards by students then it's something that ought to be addressed by the profession and acted. If they refuse to clarify examples of pass/fail submissions, jargon lists etc then they're not helping us pass this.

6. Pede

Pede Member

How about going through all the old written examiners' reports (back to 1999 I think on the IFoA website), and make a list of what words they say were used by students as jargon? ok, it's not exhaustive, but I don't think you ever could be completely. And just bear in mind that older exams had a layman as the audience - but as someone else here said - it's better to err on the cautious side.

7. almost_there

almost_there Member

Another thing I don't understand is if the actual presenting is only 20% of the marks for the presentation then why inconvenience people for a second day with it? Why not let people record it from 6-10pm that evening?

8. almost_there

almost_there Member

Good idea. I started to compile one but soon gave up as it's a lot of work for one person. People could also submit any words accused as jargon from their acted marking or exam marking too & their jargon free alternative. In theory pass rates should increase...but will they?

9. Pede

Pede Member

I'd imagine that that for every person that wants it the same day, there's another that would prefer the extra time to practise, and to finalise what they're actually saying (which covers more than just the pure presentation skills).
    I'd forget about it all for now if I was you, and just keep your fingers crossed for the result!