CA3 re-take...again!

Discussion in 'CA3' started by r_narshi, Feb 8, 2016.

1. r_narshi

r_narshi Member

Is there any further advice available for someone like me who is sitting the CA3 exam for a 3rd time!?

I've failed other exams in the past, re-taken them, and then passed. But this one...it seems to be my nemesis. It's all the more frustrating since it is my last exam!

Aside the usual "do assignments, do mock papers, practice practice practice", what have I really got available to help me crack this final exam?

The IFoA are of limited help by having just the same set of past papers on the website for the last 2 years (pretty much).

2. bystander

bystander Member

Have you tried counselling? I know each paper is very unique but it may be something in technique that is tripping you up. If there are others in your office who have passed, try to get them to appraise a mock for you. The more prepared to listen to you the better. Whatever you do, stay positive. When you retake don't go in thinking here we go again. Be focussed and treat it as a first go. Forget your track record. You don't need any added pressure. I have heard a rumour more papers will be soon available so keep an eye out for those.

3. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I'd like to re-iterate bystander's advice. If you can't pin-point where you are missing vital marks in the exam, then it is hard for you to know what to do differently.

Also, you say you have done assignments & mock exams. Did you get them marked independently (e.g. by ActEd, or a colleague who has recently passed CA3) and, if so, what were the key issues highlighted by the marker(s)?

Once you have identified the specific skills you need to work on, then you can focus your practice onto these specifics, rather than just doing more questions without a clear objective/focus.

Hemant Rupani likes this.
  4. iActuary

iActuary Member

I am also having to retake several times now! So thanks for the advice.

By the way, does anyone know why IFoA wants to know if CA3 is the last exam for qualification - as it appears in the application form? How does it matter actually?

5. bystander

bystander Member

Possibly so that when you pass the institute know to send you all the forms to convert to FIA etc. And it may also get you onto an earlier sitting I'd give you your first choice of date.

6. r_narshi

r_narshi Member

It may be as bystander says, but I thought it might also be to do with them being able to offer an exam sooner if a space opens up, in case you want to qualify earlier. For example, before the end of the year.

7. r_narshi

r_narshi Member

Thank you David and bystander for your comments and advice. They are very encouraging for me. I've had a study break of 6 months since my last attempy, so I am very much treating this as a first attempt with a fresh head on my shoulders.

I haven't carried out the counselling as I couldn't afford both another exam fee and counselling fee at ~£400+ each. But I've had tried to seek advice from one of my colleagues who passed at the same sitting that I failed. We compared some assignments/mocks where she got better marks than me, and doing so did help a little. I'm losing some marks because I'm maybe not getting all of the objectives across or not in a succinct way. But overall, some of our solutions weren't materially different. I also think I may be a bit nervous in front of the camera.

I've also sought advice from my wife by practicing in front of her - she thinks nerves is letting me down on my presentation. I think I'm a bit better now after doing some practice.

The assignments/mocks were independently marked using senior colleagues and ActEd tutors and some of the general theme of the feedback was not meeting all of the objectives, but only a few of them. I think the general format of my letters/slides is fine and if I'm losing marks here, they are unlikely to be many. I may revisit some of the feedback on the older X assignment attempts again.

Having said all of this, I did my self evaluation presentation yesterday on the online application, based on a new past paper that I'd done last weekend. I felt more confident in myself and my slides weren't too far off the mark to the solutions.

Feeling hopeful!

8. r_narshi

r_narshi Member

Presentation weaknesses are maybe what's letting me down. I had one question over this which you may be able to help with. When standing in front of the webcam for the exam presentation, I'm not really sure what to do with my hands when there's something like a chart to talk through or other diagram. It feels a bit unnatural and fake to be pretending to be point at the slide charts/diagram when it's not there. How can I make this less awkward? The notes recommend some hand gestures to emphasise key points for example or take the audience through a chart/diagram, but it just comes across as rubbish (based on my last practice video!)

9. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Only do what feels comfortable, but you should be able to find some gestures that illustrate key things in your narrative. For example, if you are talking about one measure being higher than another then "weighing them up" using your hands (virtually!) is a good illustration of what you are saying. If you want to "point to your graph" then you can point to your left and then on the in-screen image it will look like you are pointing towards it on the screen.

10. r_narshi

r_narshi Member

Thanks, that is probably what I do but it just feels unnatural (along with everything about presenting to a webcam!)

On a separate note, I had a question about the ActEd notes regarding slides and bullet points. I'm sure I've read somewhere that you should avoid wrapping your bullet points/sentences onto a second line. Yet when looking at the past paper / ASET solutions (e.g. Aug 2014 SIB paper), some of the slides DO wrap a point onto two lines. I would have though that's a big no no when it comes to presentations?

On this particular paper, some of the slides also seem a bit cluttered e.g. the Background slide from the State Invalidity Benefits Examiners Report has 10 rows of text. I feel like the examiner's would penalise you for that if they're only watching the presentation on a small screen!

11. bystander

bystander Member

In the main I agree wrapping is undesirable if excessive. So if you are worried, look at what you have in the bullet. Can you alter the wording to make it shorter but still clear? Or, is it actually two separate bullets because you have inadvertently mixed two points.

Look out for redundant words in the bullet, that alone can shorten them. Sometimes it's just you have used long words where a shorter one would do. I haven't seen the solution you refer to but the way I would approach the dilemma is use the techniques I suggest if you find yourself querying the length.

When looking at solutions also bear in mind there is no such thing as the perfect solution - especially when it comes to communication! They are there to show what a 'well prepared candidate may produce in an exam situation'. Hope this helps

Finally as you say a break in study may be helpful. Stay calm and focussed in your next attempt. Feel confident and this should come across. Practise in front of a mirror as well as webcam because that may help you stay looking up. If you can maybe arrange your webcam to have a mirror behind it on the day so you are presenting to yourself not a camera. Never tried it, both just sprang to mind

r_narshi likes this.
  12. mmmmmm

mmmmmm Member

Agree the gesticulation can feel unnatural but you have to remember it is on their mark scheme so if they tick it off it could be the difference between a pass and fail!

I took the Acted Preparation Day and found it invaluable, I was all psyched up to gesticulate over my graphs. When it came to exam day my question didn't have any obvious graphs to make so I ended up gesticulating towards bullet points on the slide instead! It felt super awkward but it just let the examiners know that I had read the syllabus/mark scheme and had therefore prepared.

So many of my colleagues that failed several times (I passed first time) are great at presentations and do it naturally but they just weren't giving the examiners enough of the list of points to tick off.

My best tip is to make sure to give the examiners what they want! i.e. what is on the mark scheme.

r_narshi likes this.
  13. mmmmmm

mmmmmm Member

Also remember to smile, maybe make a little joke to break the ice, and read all the details even they seem irrelevant, e.g. if it tells you your audience are off to meet with the CEO straight after remember this and say something like "Tell John I said Hi" or "Good luck meeting Carol!" something that makes it look friendly and not just technical.

r_narshi likes this.
  14. r_narshi

r_narshi Member

Thank you all for your comments and advice.

Unfortunately much of this may have to wait to be put into practice. My exam is on Thursday and Friday of this week, but I've been very unwell recently and so much of my preparations have gone down the drain. I don't know if I will be any way fit or prepared in time.

To kick a man when he's down, the IFoA's severely flawed refund policy means I effectively lose my £435 if either I don't sit it or most likely fail it due to being unwell!

15. bystander

bystander Member

You have to try the exam or plea your case for an ex gratia deferral. No flaw. Sorry - prep is never wasted it's all learning.

16. almost_there

almost_there Member

I agree, it's a severely flawed refund policy. What difference does it make to them if you cancel? It doesn't cost them anywhere £435 if you do so, particularly with it being an online system. Plus most people would only cancel in order to sit at another time anyway. Many students would welcome being able to take up cancelled slots.