CA1 Webinars

Discussion in 'CA1' started by Wezerlee, May 8, 2008.

1. Wezerlee

Wezerlee Member

I know that they are a relatively recent concept for ActEd, but has anyone tried the CA1 Webinars?

After a long time away from studying I am attempting CA1, having studied it (and failed it obviously) in a previous guise (I won’t tell you how it was numbered at the time, and the notes seem depressingly familiar, even after all this time ….).

So anyway, I am making my way through this huge pile of notes and trying to get my brain cells to retain some information and maybe even dredge something useful up from the past. The problem I always found before was that it seemed to make sense when I was reading the notes but when I got to the questions everything just fell apart. And as for remembering all those lists :eek:

Tutorials would probably be the best option to aid my understanding, but as I’m now living in Australia getting to a tutorial would be a bit problematic. So the Webinars seem like the next best thing.

The example session on the website shows that there are polls and such like for viewers to participate in, but do they offer any opportunity for further interaction or are they more like broadcast lectures?

I guess what I’m looking for is a mixture of both – going through concepts (perhaps worded in a slightly different way?) and getting the opportunity to ask any questions. Will Webinars provide this or should I pack my shipping crate, leave the sun behind and get to a tutorial?

2. Yes, I would like to know how useful these webinars are. What do they cover and how is is structured?

3. Anna Bishop

Anna Bishop ActEd Tutor Staff Member

What does a typical CA1 webinar cover?

- a recap on the key bookwork
    - a look at some past exam questions
    - exam technique (using words in questions, interpreting questions, looking at the command word, thinking about how much to write, structuring answers)

The interaction happens via:

- polls (MCQ questions)
    - tutor asking questions to the students, students type answers into chat box
    - fill in the blanks exercises.

You don't need to attend all the webinars in a session. They are each independent entities.