CA1 September 2017 (IFoA) - thoughts?

Discussion in 'CA1' started by Satya, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Satya

Satya Member

How did you find this sitting?

Personally I thought it was horrible. There was a lot of time pressure, very few straightforward questions and the number of marks available for some parts seemed really high.

I really wasn't sure about the question in paper 2 on the "risk management control cycle of a capital investment project". Were you supposed to chat about the non-core reading given in the "risk management process" chapter? <-- I would have thought this is unlikely because it is non-core reading.

Or could you use the ACC? I believe one of the CA1 syllabus objectives says that the ACC can be used as a risk management control cycle.

Or was it mostly about capital project appraisal?

2. Alan22

Alan22 Member

I personally think the questions were a bit fair...Like you said, there were very few straightforward questions (that's subjective though). The risk management control cycle question was one of the questions that covered more than one concept so I simply tried to touch all the topics I felt they covered (the time constraint was real though). I had to write so fast that it looked like I was being chased by 3 dragons. It's my 1st attempt but I hope I wrote enough. All the best!!!

3. Satya

Satya Member

That sounds like a fair assessment. It's my first attempt as well.

The problem with papers like this sitting, where there were loads of non-standard applications, is that it's hard to tell whether what you wrote was actually valid or was nonsense. Sometimes I was just making it up as I went along, it felt!

Good luck with results!

4. Satya

Satya Member

So this exam had the lowest pass rate of all time (or at least since 2007 where the Actuarial-Lookup data goes back to) for CA1.
    What a beast!

5. Yes, apparently the exam was very difficult.

Luckily I survived with a pass.

How about others?

6. Satya

Satya Member

Same here, managed to pass.

Hopefully there won't be a harder exam than this one in the remaining exams we have to take! Good luck!