CA1 September 2005 exam

Discussion in 'CA1' started by Anna Bishop, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Anna Bishop

Anna Bishop ActEd Tutor Staff Member

What did you think of both the exams?

Did the split between life, general and pensions in Paper 2 feel about right?

There were only 5 questions in Paper 2: is a wide enough cross-section of the syllabus being tested?

2. claire

claire Member

Overall I thought they weren't too bad and the life/general/pensions split was OK.

Didn't like the fair value question in Paper 1 much but the final question being a lift from 1999 and in the ActEd tutorials helped!

A ten mark opener in Paper 2 wasn't much fun, I panicked a bit at it. The big questions were at least split into reasonably manageable sections but I don't think they tested enough of the course. I was left wondering why I'd bothered to study half of it.

3. lin

lin Member

I think the split between life, general and pensions was good - a little bit of each with some reinsurance added in, all in the space of 5 questions. In terms of the type of paper, it was more or less what I expected (thanks Anna for preparing me in the Cape Town tutorial!) although I think the questions were quite hard. I know a number of people came out of the exam room thinking they had studied in vain, because the paper didn't test the core reading.

I must say I was hoping for a bit more straightforward bookwork, and less "well my general knowledge of the subject can help me generate ideas for this one". I suppose the proof will be in the pudding, when the results come out.

4. parnell

parnell Member

What the hell was that pension question doing on CA12 ? All of the investment material in relation to splits and balancing investment portfolios is on CA11 not on CA12 (or even the parts which are covered under CA12 i.e. chapters 1-12 and 33 on). Daft.