CA1 Revision Notes

Discussion in 'CA1' started by claura07, Apr 24, 2012.

1. claura07

claura07 Member

Has anyone ever used the Acted Revision Notes for CA1? How useful were they? Would you recommend it for a first time sitter?
    Thanks.

2. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Claura07,

I think the CA1 Revision Notes are great.

They have all the past exam questions for the last ten years, grouped by subject, so you can focus your study on particular "problem areas".

They contain all the Core Reading, so you don't have to keep flipping back and forth through your Course Notes.

They also test the Core Reading, which you're going to have to learn somehow!

Plus we've given you an in-depth discussion of one question in each booklet, so you can see how to construct your answer and develop your ideas.

And to cap it off, we also give you a whole load of useful mnemonics.

So yes, I'd thoroughly recommend the CA1 Revision Notes...

... but then I would say that, wouldn't I! :rolleyes:

Kind regards,

Katherine.

3. HanginInThere

HanginInThere Member

I used the revision notes for this last sitting and I think they helped a lot!
    Especially when you're approaching the exams, and there's no time to start re-reading 49 chapters! Related chapters are grouped together and the core reading is presented as questions helps put everything in a clearer context.

They also help you mind-map with a brainstorming chart that shows you how to generate ideas.

4. bystander

bystander Member

They are really goog but always better to annotate occasionally with your perspective of things.

5. claura07

claura07 Member

Thank you for the feedback! :)

6. FloWesh

FloWesh Member

Whats is the best strategy for using the CA1 revision notes? At what point in study should one start using them?

7. cjno1

cjno1 Member

FloWelsh, what I did with CA1 was to go through the full acted notes the first time, then after that I just stuck purely to the revision books. They are much easier to work with (and carry!), and they contain all the information you need to study effectively.

Later, if you happen to go through the revision books and there's a point that you don't fully understand, you can always then refer back to the full acted notes to see it explained more fully.

8. bystander

bystander Member

I agree. Move to using them after you have completed the course in full but it is very much down to personal preference

9. FloWesh

FloWesh Member

Thank you bystander and cjno1.
    How well did that strategy work for you? Did it help you pass the exam at first attempt? Coz thats what I'm hoping for. I'll be sitting for it this Sept and kinda feeling pressed for time.

10. cjno1

cjno1 Member

I passed first time, but to be honest that doesn't mean much, since I have no idea whether I passed by half a mark or by 20 marks (such is the transparency of the profession).

Personally, I found that the two most helpful things to do when studying for CA1 were:

1. Learn the acronyms. There are questions in the exam which are just basically asking you to regurgitate core reading, and you really want to pick the marks up on these. I went into the exam with about 60 acronyms in my head, and I used quite a few of them to pick up easy marks. If you are able to read a 4 or 5 mark question and immediately recall the points to get the marks, it means you can spend more of your time on the more "thinky" questions.

Also, don't just blindly use the ActEd acronyms. There will be some stuff that you can remember easily, so there's no point in spending time learning an acronym for it. Likewise, there might be some things which are difficult for you to recall but which have no acronym, so make your own! You are much more likely to remember an acronym if you had to come up with it yourself.

2. Do the past papers. Nothing gets things into your head better than going through proper questions. My technique was to answer each question in the revision books and mark them as I went along. For every question where I didn't do very well, I highlighted it. Then at then end of all the questions I went back and did the highlighted ones again. I kept going over questions until I managed to get through everything without needing my highlighter.

There are lots of other things that people who were studying with me did, such as writing up their own notes, making mind-maps, etc, but these were my two favourite techniques. Really you just need to find out what works for you.

11. bystander

bystander Member

Big ask in a short sitting so you need to be very focussed and remember that CA1 is about application. So bookwork alone won't cut it.

You will need good question anlaysis skills ie be able to hone in on adjectives etc that will keep you on track for a given scenario. Time in the exam can be a big barrier so learn to write succinctly and get your points down in order of priority.

So acronyms are good to know the ideas then filter and expand as needed. There are some in revison books and course notes but sometimes making your own is better as they are more memorable to you./

Amount of detail depends on marks available and look at the instruction eg List.....Describe are the two extremes.

,ake sure you are active in study ie write down your answers.

Get feedback - at the very least a marked mock under strict exam conditions.

So fly through the course, then practise and concentrate to make weaker areas in knowledge less so rather than take a comfort approach of redoing lots on areas of the course you find easiest.

Good luck,

12. FloWesh

FloWesh Member

Thanks a lot guys.
    I'm just about to finish reading the course notes then move on to the revision notes asap.

13. FloWesh

FloWesh Member

Is it very necessary to go though the revision notes thrice (as the back of the booklets recommend) before one is deemed worthy of the CA1 exam?