CA1 April 2010

Discussion in 'CA1' started by Jonny, May 3, 2010.

1. Jonny

Jonny Member

So how did we all find it?

I thought the first paper wasn't too bad but the second paper was far worse.

How did you all find the last question of the second paper?

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Member

I completely agree - first paper better than the second. Last question on the 2nd paper I wasn't even sure the first two parts related to CA1! Think it must have been a bit of a curve ball as all seemed to return to normal in the latter parts

3. Busy_Bee4422

Busy_Bee4422 Ton up Member

Just a thought. Do they deliberately make the second paper the hard paper so that people pitch up for both papers. Coz if the second one had come first I surely wouldn't have bothered showing up for the other one.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Member

That's a good point. I certainly wouldn't have felt so keen on starting the second paper whereas this way around I left the first exam thinking that I'd given myself a really good shot at passing (NOT how I felt after leaving on the Tuesday!)

5. stueau

stueau Member

Re last question second paper..

It wasn't the difficultly that bothered me (it was a hard question, but you gotta expect 2 or 3 of those across the papers), it was just how vague the different parts were.

What's the difference between the points you would put in an introduction to a speech, and the detailed points you would make? Surely the introduction would introduce the points you were then going to make in the substantive part of the speech. Nightmare.

Can see the examiners report now, "Students again failed to answer the question that was asked..."

6. Busy_Bee4422

Busy_Bee4422 Ton up Member

I had a problem with the mark distribution. I found more marks than seemed score-able being allocated. For example the question on what to do with the benefits to be paid later for a discontinued scheme or the first question in paper 2 with 9 marks straight. Number 6 in paper 2 had 16 marks. Did anyone generate 32 points for that question? I can't say I'm looking forward to results.

7. andy orodo

andy orodo Member

where can you see the examiners report? All I can see on the website is the exam.

i thought both papers were quite strange, apper one had lots of small markers while paper 2 had lots of extremes, some questions were easy to pick up lots of marks in while other I really struggled. the economic capital question i thought was worse than the final one on paper 2

8. andy orodo

andy orodo Member

I think they were looking for the acronym and for a description of each one to pick up the full mark. I don't think they were looking for a 32 long list. That's how I answered it. Obviously some points were more relevant than others

9. andy orodo

andy orodo Member

where can you see the examiner's report?

10. phantom

phantom Member

not everyone can see the examiner's report. only privileged people have this advantage and u r not one of them :p

11. andy orodo

andy orodo Member

I obviously miss read what was meant by that; silly me! :p

I don't see why the examiners reports are not published before the results come out. At least our expectations could be managed by reading them

12. phantom

phantom Member

good point.. but in any case, the results/reports take a long long time.. almost half-way through the next sitting..
    doesn't help planning what subjects to study next without the results in hand..

13. didster

didster Member

Ah, it would help. But the report isn't done yet. They're still deciding what the marking schedule is, for one.

But there is no reason why it can't be provided at the same time as results - nothing should change after results are decided. Hopefully it doesn't take months after results like the last sitting.

14. no338

no338 Member

Agree with the previous comments on last question on second paper. Unsure how to split out the answer, and what points to make - it felt a bit like doing a CA3 exam question!. I'm sure that examiners can use their discretion to award marks irrespective of where you mentioned the point though.

I thought the second paper was one of the hardest in the last five years - despite me covering everything in the course fairly well there were a lot of awkward questions where you're not sure what sort of answer they want and just have to wing it. The first paper was nice though, so overall about average difficulty. Too much life and pensions stuff for my tastes though!

15. Edwin

Edwin Member

Quite demotivated after an encouraging paper 1.

Two words;-

"Twas bad!"