CA-3 workbook

Discussion in 'CA3' started by Ambitious, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Ambitious

Ambitious Member

Has anyone started working on the CA-3 workbook which people sitting exam in Feb March may have received.
    I find this book quite tough. The instructions to complete the book are not informative and I beleive that the questions are poorly designed.

Please share your thought.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010
  2. mattt78

mattt78 Member

CA3 preparatory work

Can anyone tell me what preparatory work is required for the current CA3 course? Specifically with regards to the coursework submitted in advance - approximately how long does this take, and how far in advance does it need to be submitted?

I'm thinking of signing up for a course on May 9th, which would mean I only have about 3 weeks between sitting ST7 and the CA3 course. I assume that's plenty of time to prepare, but if you need to hand in some time consuming coursework a month before the course that would really be bad timing.

thanks in advance :cool:

3. Ambitious

Ambitious Member

Matt78 – whatever I am going to say below is out of my experience and the deadlines, rules may differ between candidates.

The Institute suggests a 50 hours time for preparation for CA-3. The actual time required for an appropriate level of preparation depends on your current communication skills and your speed of learning. I personally think that 1 month is a good enough time to do a rigorous preparation including the past paper and past Acted material for earlier written exams, you may have. There is no specific study material for the course based exam.

You will receive the workbook around 10 weeks in advance of the course day. You will have to submit the completed workbook before two weeks of the course day. So you almost have 8 weeks to complete the workbook. The Institute thinks that 8-12 hours should be enough to complete all the exercises in the workbook. I have not counted the hours I took to finish the exercises, but I presume that I consumed around 15-20 hrs, given that I am a slow person.

Regarding your sitting two exams within a short time difference, it depends on you if you can complete the CA3workbook (plus some practice) with studies for ST7 exam.

All the best.

4. capitalH

capitalH Member

This requires a lot of emphasis.

Time in the CA3 exam is a big hurdle to passing. A lot of people claim to fail because of not having enough time. You should not need to search for an Excel function, or wonder how its usage is applied. If your Excel/modelling skills are limited - you may struggle with time.

5. scarlets

scarlets Member

55% of people fail CA3 after submitting the mandatory pre-exam workbook and receiving the 'coaching' on day 1... go figure