Buying your 1st property

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Phil, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Phil

Phil Member

Hi

I'm considering getting on the property ladder, the problem is I can’t decide whether to go for a flat or a house. I can afford both in the location I want.

I’m thinking if you can afford it then you’ve got to go for a house when you think about investment. With a house you are buying the land as well so I think the value of your property will go up more.

But my parents reckon I should go for a flat for the easier maintenance

Does anyone think a flat has just as much investment potental?

2. Cardano

Cardano Member

Interest rates are rising, repossessions are rising, mortgage arrears are rising, the average house price/average earning is far higher than at any point in my life (and I'm old enough to remember the Barber boom) + every sucker I know has bought a buy to let.

Wait until all the weak hands are shaken out of the buy to let market.

3. King

King Member

4. Sauny Bean

Sauny Bean Member

Sounds like a CA1 question to me!

5. Don't use Foxtons!

Whatever you decide, if you happen to be buying the London area, just avoid using Foxtons. Have a look at http://www.blagger.com/db4/company_id/70/companyname/Foxtons.html for peoples not so pleasent experiences of dealing with them...

6. Gareth

Gareth Member

and the 100 year mortgage has now been introduced in the UK (it passes down to your children :eek: )

when japan's house prices got crazy high, they also introduced this mortgage... and a year or two afterwards had a nice big crash.

there's a saying in investment: "If it looks like a bubble, walks like a bubble, and quacks like a bubble, it's a bubble."

so i'd be careful if you are looking to buy.

7. Cardano

Cardano Member

Interestingly Real estate prices in Japan rose last year for the first time since 1989. Buying property in Tokyo (80% down from in its peak) ought to be a much better investment than anything in Europe or North America which are now spectacularly overvalued. Anyone fancy being an actuary in Tokyo?

8. scarlets

scarlets Member

I could potentially buy a very expensive flat, and the case is getting stronger each year, but am and have always been in two minds about the whole thing.

For years I've considered buying, gone to view places, got mortgage quotes and have performed many scenario analysis to try and understand what I'm taking on but am yet to take the plunge.

says in that article
    I think this is only true in the short term. You would surely expect rents to increase with salaries/inflation over time whilst your mortgage payment would remain the same (assuming interest rates mean-revert). And if salaries/inflation mean-revert around 3-5% increase each year then this will push up prices too surely since affordability increases.

9. If your buy, then in 25 years time you own the house. If you rent, you will still be paying £800 ish a month (in real terms) untill you die, which could be another 40 years. Surely that is quite a big flaw in the argument in that article? :confused:

10. Cardano

Cardano Member

It is one thing to apply a mean reverting model to interest rates when valuing a 3 month interest rate option and quite another when looking at the lifetime of a mortgage. Interest rates tend to rise for about 25-35 years (1896 - 1920, 1946-1981) and fall for 20-25 years (1873-1896, 1920-1946, 1981-2003?).

At the moment rental yields don't even cover interest payments let alone capital repayments and maintenance.

11. scarlets

scarlets Member

Let's put our actuarial exam knowledge to use and construct models for buying vs renting for 25 years to compare. It will be fun, won't it? :cool:

12. Louisa

Louisa Member

I suspect it will still come down to a gamble on whether the property market crashes or not. Or perhaps I'm just feeling lazy...

The good news for buyers is, as long as your salary doesn't crash with the property prices, you still have a house, and the price of the next size up will be a lot more affordable.

13. Cardano

Cardano Member

14. scarlets

scarlets Member

Cardano- excellent link, thanks.

15. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Mortgage rates

The other side of the argument is the deal that you get...the best place I found to get the deals is moneyfacts.

I got a great deal from hinckly & rugby on a lifetime tracker mortgage - which is base+0.25 for life!

Got so fed up with paying my booking fee and getting a good deal for a couple of years - and then being offered rubbish rates by that bank (infact when I said so to Abbey - they said "hold on a moment" then came back with a better offer - but not as good as new customers) - so then you have to pay a redemption charge to move to a different bank - so they screw you both ends!

So with a lifetime (with no penalty) I can carry it between houses and never pay any more of those changing fees - and with such an excellent tracker rate (though Woolich has just recently pipped it if you have a 20% stake) I'm a happy man.

PS Site also lists buy-to-let mortgages as well.

Hope this helps!

16. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

Once you do decide to buy the next question is:

"Do I buy a house or a flat/apartment?"

If you live alone or are as a couple - as many young people do, you may think I only want an apartment.

Apartments are more managable and there are lots of new high quality builds.

Whereas if you bought a house at the same price it would probably not be built/fitted to the same standard.

Problem with buying an apartment is that they are building so many of them in cities these days that I wonder if eventually an over-supply will drive down prices? After all can you really justify spending £125-£200 k on a two-bedroom apartment on the 17th floor?

What do you think?

17. scarlets

scarlets Member

Avan, I share your concerns on over-supply of flats. Also perhaps you need to consider do you want a new-ish flat or one converted. Personally I prefer nice conversions as they seem to have more character and thicker walls.

Another thing you need to bear in mind is that you'll have to pay ground rent and service charges for flats. This could be around £1000/year in total. Make sure you investigate that also.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2006
  18. Phil

Phil Member

Thanks for your replies, I'll be looking into it deeply after my CT1, CT2 exams are out the way

The point that there's likely to be an over supply of flats/appartments is one I hadn't thought of and I agree with

My instincts tell me I'd be better off with a house...but next month I'll start viewing

19. Cardano

Cardano Member

cymro card -its on here and the link still works

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008