Bullet points

Discussion in 'CA2' started by Chmel Oon, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Chmel Oon

Chmel Oon Member

Hello all!

Studying for CA2 (in 2 days' time, how exciting!) and I realised that in all answer scripts, the "Next Steps" and "Assumptions" are all in bullet points. Is this the standard expected?

I ask because sometimes I'm tempted to elaborate on the points and I'm not sure what format to follow (or if I'm doing unnecessary work if the bullet points alone are sufficient).

Thanks in advance :)

2. bystander

bystander Member

Bullets are often used because that shows stages. It would be hard to follow is next steps were just a long paragraph. You can think of it as a step by step report for someone to carry on the task/improve. If you don't like the format then I don't see any harm in a numbered list. This list could be headers and if you feel it's appropriate to elaborate do so then as a sentence or 2 beneath. But you aren't intended to fully complete someone's work for example, so don't waste time being overly detailed and then miss some next stages. As in written exams, be clear and succinct.

Chmel Oon likes this.
  3. Chmel Oon

Chmel Oon Member

Thanks for your speedy reply! :)

Personally, I don't see much difference between numbered lists and bullet points.. I like to use numbered points for assumptions so that I can refer to them during the report when appropriate.

Currently my "Next steps" isn't really step-by-step.. It's kinda just random thoughts I have while working on the report. :') I'll try to be more aware of this during the exam! Thanks for the advice!!

I also observe that most of the "Next steps" are challenging the "Assumptions" outlined at the beginning of the report (on top of the "standard" ones like "Obtain a peer review of the work performed"). So I believe it's worth it to spend some time on the assumption section. :)

4. bystander

bystander Member

Yes be careful of throwing random thoughts down. They may not be coherent and become repetitive. You want your work to look thought out.