bored and sick of exams

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by asdf123, Sep 29, 2007.

1. mattt78

mattt78 Member

actuarial masters etc

I agree, but that's sort of the problem. A lack of consistency and transparency is the inevitable consequence of this 'university agreement'. When people were getting one or two exemptions for relevant uni courses it wasn't such an issue, but now people are getting exemptions for almost all of them I think its a problem, especially since there is a clear moral hazard with those courses selling themselves as shortcuts to FIA qualification - just check the recent exam board scandal in the UK.

I don't really see why the people on these courses can't take the same exams as everyone else. If their exams are just as good/difficult, what would be the problem?

Btw, remember you still need 3 years on the job experience to be an FIA (don't you?) If these courses are full time I'm not sure they help a great deal - even if you study really hard for 2 years and get most of the exemptions, it will still be a total of 5 years before you're FIA, and I think 5-6 years is the average for people starting from scratch anyway, so what's the point?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011
  2. Edwin

Edwin Member

I agree with you Matt,someone must make a petition. But then they will say different Uni's have different Academic years. I also think the Profession will be more worth respect if we all set the same exams!

Like you say nowadays people can get 11 exemptions at Varsity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The point is, you'l just be waiting for your FIA, someone else who didn't go to Varsity will be striving for a FIA!???

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011
  3. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

The Actuarial education process used to be regarded as being of very high quality characterised by low pass rates 20+ years ago but it has been slowly losing it's prestige over the years due to the university exemption systems, because in the end it's money thats important.

4. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Well, you could also argue that is unfair that some students start off with studying for a BSc degree in Actuarial Science and gain a lot of exemptions through these programs and other students do BSc in e.g. Mathematics and don't get exemptions and have a longer study path....

I think a lot of university programmes in the UK (1 year postgrad diploma or MSc) are good for international students, as they do not get a UK study package in their country. Imagine working like a dog and not having any time to study....

Some people in the UK do not get a study package at work so I think it is a good idea to do a crash course. What is the big deal. The uni courses in the UK are quite close to the Institute exams....It is a personal choice which route to take and what mode to study in....

5. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

I would worry more about European actuaries getting exemptions from all 14 exams (except SA level) or having worked during a transition period of 1-2 years, getting an FIA*. :eek:

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

It has really lost it's Prestige!

7. Edwin

Edwin Member

What about outside UK?

8. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

What are you really asking about?

9. bystander

bystander Member

I agree exemptions and quick qualifying times don't go together with experience.
    I'd be really happy if the Institute changed so there was a minimum time period in practise before giving FIA. Controversial, but I'd be happy to see it set at 5 years, because its that kind of length of exposure where you can really start to appreciate business in practise.

I also feel that those who have to study longer really value their qualification more asits the end of a longer term struggle.

Some employers are already going against exemptions route as those coming in that way demand too high a salary so we'll see how things pan out.

But the profession wants short qualifying times so as not to deter people.

For those struggling, stick with it. The victory will be Oh so sweet!

10. scarlets

scarlets Member

It's now £155 per CT, only £60 for special overseas people.

CA1 £420 for us, £170 for special overseas.

Etc

Just when are members going to start complaining about this huge price discrimination? It's bad enough they charge this much to acknowledge quals you've had to pay to achieve elsewhere without then being so divisive with the discounts for some.

11. scarlets

scarlets Member

Must say that the Acted teaching is much better than Uni teaching too. This makes the Uni fees look a serious rip-off. To get all CTs out of the way on an MSc would mean no social life at uni.

12. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

The Profession made a decision to go global and nobody in low wage economy country would ever pay the full price.

13. scarlets

scarlets Member

I challenge that and also state it's not our problem.

14. Infinity

Infinity Member

this has been going on for years now...

15. Infinity

Infinity Member

i stuck with it Bystander - great advice, now I feel like I've ruined my life. Thanks for your advice. I believe you and your buddies have now told me that I should quit now

16. almost_there

almost_there Member

I think it's wrong that Infinity has been stopped from posting entirely on this forum by Acted. It was bad enough when several of Infinity's messages were being deleted or edited by Acted moderators. I find Infinity's posts very reasonable.

17. Tarbuck

Tarbuck Member

I do as well. Genuinely. Very valid viewpoints and its good to have a mix of input on the forum.

My problem is I don't think his/ her forum username should be a reference to his/ her daily post count on the same topic.

18. almost_there

almost_there Member

I prefer thousands of messages expressing truth and exposing lies compared to short statements of lies misleading thousands.