Bootstrapping!

Discussion in 'SP7' started by tatos, Aug 2, 2013.

1. tatos

tatos Member

Wow, this bootstrapping stuff is so awesome! I'm finally awake. Actually, chapter 13 was OK. But before that ... :rolleyes:

I only wish the explanation could have been illustrated in greater depth, got more technical etc. I think quite a good portion of what I've read in ST7 up until this point feels repetitive and "obvious" and I get the feeling that a lot could be said more concisely. Much more concisely. That would then allow us to spend more time on stuff like this whole bootstrapping process, which I'm sure a good number of people have not really been exposed to before. It's things like this that really add to your skill set and ability to generate 'sophisticated' appropriate solutions at work (quite a bit of the other stuff, if I'm honest, frankly feels a lot like common sense and yet it's seemingly important to remember chunks of core reading on it). Perhaps that's not entirely fair though, as I should wait till I start practising exams before I say that..!

2. tatos

tatos Member

#missing_the_CTs?

As no one wants to respond. And because it's midnight on Friday and I'm studying. I'm carrying on with my mini rant :D

I just read the "barely-scraping-surface" introduction on copulas in chapter 20. Why are all the seemingly interesting bits so sadly brief? Perhaps I'm playing tricks on myself but it seems like a lot of ST7 core reading overlaps and repeats *sigh*. If only we could cut out a chunk of words and replace it with this kind of stuff!

I like this statement on page 18 in respect of the statistical theory of copulas: "If you want to learn more..., there is no shortage of literature. But beware; it's not for the faint-hearted!"

I also like this statement on the first page of chapter 21 which I'm about to start: "This short chapter builds slightly <note word "slightly"> further on the material you will have learned... A lot of this material should now be familiar to you from your study of the previous three <yes, three! and lots of the same stuff in all three> chapters.."

Anyhow, time to soldier on..

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013