BLAGAB Tax Computation Appendix Example

Discussion in 'SA2' started by Nicholas_B, Sep 7, 2023.

1. Nicholas_B

Nicholas_B Member

Hi

I have a question with respect to the BLAGAB Tax Computation Appendix Example on page 18 of Chapter 7 - Taxation (2) for the 2023 exam syllabus.

There seems to be some circular reference in the computation of the [Policyholder share of taxable profits] which got me confused.

All is well at the Total I-E taxable profits = 80.

-The [Shareholder share of taxable profits] is dependent on Calculation 2, which is derived from the [BLAGAB trade profit] component.
    -The [BLAGAB trade profit] component is derived from Calculation 1, and part of Calculation 1's computation is derived from deducting [Policyholder current tax deduction] component of (10)
    -This [Policyholder current tax deduction] component appears to be derived by taking 20% of 48 (and rounded up from 9.6 to 10?)
    -But this 48 is derived from [Total I-E taxable profits = 80] less the [Shareholder share of taxable profits = 32].
    -This is where the circular reference seems to arise - How can we derive [Policyholder share of taxable profits] if [Shareholder share of taxable profits] is dependent on its value?

Am I missing something here?

2. Lindsay Smitherman

Lindsay Smitherman ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Yes, there is indeed a circular reference in the calculation as set out in that Appendix. In practice an approximation would be used to resolve this, but you wouldn't be expected to know such detail.

Nicholas_B likes this.