Billion

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Lost1, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Lost1

Lost1 Member

Hi guys

This may be rather daft, but I'm not from the UK and always get myself confused as to what a billion is in the past papers.

Is it still a million million/1 000 000 000 000 or a thousand million/1 000 000 000?

2. Meldemon

Meldemon Member

In the UK its a thousand million, i.e. 10^9...

3. Lost1

Lost1 Member

Thanks

4. the trusty wikipedia method...

comes up with the view that US billions are (always) 1000 million; whereas old UK (pre 1970's) billion was million-million.
    New UK (post 1970's) are 1000-million; as Meldemon says.

The wikipedia is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales

in case anyone is looking for a reason not to study :D

I suspect that any country where English is the main language will be leaning towards 1000-million due to the globalisation of the news (CNN, BBC etc)

5. Zebedee

Zebedee Member

Ah, I could bore you all for hours on this one but I'll keep it brief.

The English definition of a billion was a million-million.

The American definition was a thousand-million, what we Brits would have referred to as a millard.

Globalisation of financial and other markets forced standardisation and the American system won, despite lacking the clear logical naming structure of the British system (billion had twice as many zeros as a million, trillion had three times as many, quarillion four, etc).

In short, the "business billion", i.e. the number we should use in calculations etc is a thousand-million.

A final point though, particularly in the UK, is to be aware that due to the age of many pensioners and policyholders, they may believe we are referring to the old english billion if any communications are denominated such. We should therefore take care to clarify any use of the term to ensure our communications are appropriate for the reader.

This site has both American and British names for 10^x multiples - to reiterate we use the American system in finance work.

http://www.uni-bonn.de/~manfear/numbers_names.php

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2008
  6. Zebedee, some of those would be good for scrabble!!! :D