best paying country

Discussion in 'Careers' started by NeedToQualify, Oct 13, 2008.

1. NeedToQualify

NeedToQualify Member

Hi,

Any ideas which is the best country for a p&c actuary in terms of salary? :D

2. Java Jive

Java Jive Member

Not Eastern Europe for sure. You can't afford a one-room flat rental in Kiev for a salary of Head of Actuarial Department in a top Ukrainian GI company (2500 employees approx.).

3. Pede

Pede Member

depends on the cost of living too. eg P&C actuary in the states might earn roughly the same as UK, but the cost of living is lower over there.

I came across an actuary who worked in one of the african countries. He hadn't even qualified, and had a queue every day at his office for people after his services. He said he had so much money that even after buying houses all over the place, he didn't know what to do with it! Ho hum.

4. ?????

????? Member

I guess it should be looked at relative to cost of living, or other job's salaries.

Haha, I'd like to move to that african country. If you tell me it's South Africa, I'm being underpaid! :D

5. NeedToQualify

NeedToQualify Member

yes in relation to the cost of living and also after tax and other deductions (e.g. National insurance).

It's certainly not Greece

6. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

Switzerland has pretty low taxes.

7. Zapher

Zapher Member

Do any of us feel over paid??

8. fiend

fiend Member

yes very much so!