Best Calculator

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by High91, Aug 7, 2012.

1. High91

High91 Member

Can someone tell me which one is the best calculator among the following:
    • Casio FX82 (with or without any suffix)
    • Casio FX83 (with or without any suffix)
    • Casio FX85 (with or without any suffix)
    • Hewlett Packard HP12c (with or without any suffix)
    • Sharp EL531 (with or without any prefix or suffix)
    • Texas Instruments BA II Plus (with or without any suffix)
    • Texas Instruments TI-30 (with or without any suffix)

which one them has most number of functions.? I have Casio FX82 but I guess it does not have many features that others have.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
  2. ezCTseries

ezCTseries Member

cal

Ti-30xiis

3. Calum

Calum Member

They are very similar in functionality, which is why they're all on the same list. More important is the interface style and ease of use - as you perceive it.

I have the Casio FX8something and I particularly like the "real" notation, which I find useful for making sure I'm not making order-of-evaluation errors (ie 2*3+4=10 or 14?)

The exception is the HP12c, which is a completely different and more powerful beast than the rest. If you're willing to spend some time to learn something new it's worth a look, but there is a learning curve.

4. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

fx-85GT PLUS has the Table mode for interpolation in CT1 and good functionality (better than fx82).

HP12c - there has been talk of removing this...

BAI PLus is great for annuities but pretty basic for other stuff.

5. Calum

Calum Member

The HP12c was removed last(?) year, but reinstated to stay in line with CAS/SOA requirements, and IIRC the message was it wasn't going to be removed again any time soon.

6. High91

High91 Member

So is it worth buying FX85 or BAI Plus despite of the fact that I already have FX82..??

7. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

You will have to consider the incremental aspect of it. Is the time saved in the exam using these additional features worth more than the learning curve involved and the cost of buying them?

I passed (and topped) CT1 with a fx-350ms fyi - which I continue to use. I don't see calculators as being value adding in the exam tbh, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  8. John Lee

I think the Table mode on the FX85 makes interpolation in CT1 bearable!

Students in the UK have been disqualified for using the wrong calculator. You are playing a dangerous game!

9. studious

studious Member

I have purchased the FX-85MS it doesnt appear to have Table Mode
    Pressing Mode 3 leads to Regression Modes.

Which specific Casio FX-85??? have Table Mode, is it only the FX-85GT PLUS

Thanks

10. mmmmmm

mmmmmm Member

I have an fx85 (can't remember the suffix). I used to have fx83 but the 85 is so much lighter weight which is a lot nicer in the hand. It also comes in blue and pink! I have the blue.

11. Calum

Calum Member

I have the pink. It has the great advantage that when "borrowed" in the office, the culprit is easily found.

12. John Lee

Oh no! Yes it's the FX-85-ES or the FX-85GT-PLUS. I'm so sorry I didn't make that clear last time.

13. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

You sure were not kidding, John! A friend of mine who wrote from the UK got disqualified in this window for doing so. Holy moo!