Base stats knowledge required for CT3?

Discussion in 'CT3' started by Oldy-but-Goody, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Hi there

I will be sitting CT3 in the Autumn exams, however, I'm a mature student who last studied some stats 14 years ago as part of my Economics degree.

What would be great to know is to what degree is CT3 a self contained stats course, and how much of it relies on a base stats knowledge?

I already own Statspack if a lot of background knowledge is required, but would obviously love to hear that I'll learn everything I require just from studying CT3!

Many thanks for any help.

Regards

2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

StatsPack has all you need in terms of the base knowledge - so you should be fine!

3. Does that mean I'll have to study Statspack first before tackling CT3, or can all the knowledge be gleaned from CT3 with Statspack just serving as a backup for topics which I'm not grasping?

4. Turtlelord

Turtlelord Member

Having just studied CT3 without any prior stats, I found that it was self contained. I did not require any further stats packs or stats textbooks.

5. Ex-muso

Ex-muso Member

I was in a pretty similar position to you (fellow oldy!)

Think you'll be OK to plunge in, and - as you say - refer to the pack if needed.

Just taken exam and don't know if I passed, but passing was certainly a possibility. If anything the parts I found trickier were the parts involving somewhat trickier "pure" maths skills, such as the Generating Functions and some of the more complicated maximum likelihood estimator algebra.

6. Thanks!

7. Tele76

Tele76 Member

I too was in a similar position.

My stats knowledge was pretty much zero and took me a lot of study time to get to grips with CT3. And I still performed poorly in the exam, so maybe I'm just a bit thick.

Anyway, I think the CMP should be all you need, but would recommend you start as early as possible as the concepts take a while to bed in.

8. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Nope - you can study them concurrently - it's very clearly marked which chapters it supports and it is written so you can dip into as you have need.

Perhaps the best thing is to order the CT3 CMP - see how you get on and if you get in a pickle then get the StatsPack to help out.