August session full already

Discussion in 'CA3' started by Edwin, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Edwin

Edwin Member

Im wondering if this makes sense, it's only April and the session is full already? How come the non-practical exams never get full. Why can't the IFoA try an alternative approach. This is disappointing, very soon the November one will be full and we will have to wait for a year to get the CA3 exam done. And I need this to get FIA/FFA and CERA. Disappointing, why resort to computers if the system can't handle us, it's only delaying us to qualify and the IFoA should be focused on getting us to qualify???

Hemant Rupani likes this.
  2. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Yes, and also in the new system for CA3, it seems that your best bet is to try 2 times per year whereas previously people could squeeze in 3 sittings per year.....

3. bystander

bystander Member

There have always been discussions on ca3. Best purely hand written then demand for PC work and more overseas candidates I think has pushed then down the computer route. All you can do is keep an eye out and apply as soon as slots are available and/or join the wait list. Yes it's great to qualify quick but in terms of your overall career length it becomes immaterial. Just make sure you do everything to pass first time

4. ca3_ache

ca3_ache Member

This really is a shambles and I hope it is addressed in the exam restructure next year. This is my final exam too and I have just taken for a second (and hopefully final) time. It's hardly surprising there is a bottleneck of people waiting to qualify on this when the Institute restricts who can sit the exam (all CTs plus CA1, I believe?) combined with the stubbornly low pass rate and three month wait for results.

5. LastHurdles

LastHurdles Member

The institute don't care I am afraid otherwise they would listen to the people actually sitting the exams. Try emailing them and see what response you get!

I was dreading not passing CA3 and having to sit it in November for the fourth time as opposed to August. Luckily I have passed it. However I am in a similar situation for CA2. Sat in November 2015, got a fail result in February 2016 and have to waiting till September 2016 to sit again because may session is full! Yes thats right, effectively one sitting a year.

Rang the institute and they claim they have to be fair to all students. I suggested that surely the fairest thing they could do is open the exam entry after the results of the previous session had been released.....apparently not. What a load of rubbish!

6. I have the same problem with ca2, failed the nov 15 exam. Got results early February and the May sitting was full so have to wait til sept with results not til end of December.

Last exam for fia and cera. So annoying

7. bystander

bystander Member

Not sure what a change will do to the pass rate. Tried various formats and none have had high pass rates. Hopefully you'll be over the hurdle and won't really care any more. But if you want to help reduce pass rates, you can always consider volunteering as a marker at some point post qualification.

8. LastHurdles

LastHurdles Member

Appreciate your love for the profession, but surely you see there flaws? Why not lobby to get things changed?

9. Pede

Pede Member

There's an opportunity to 'lobby' for all the exams at the moment - as you may know, the profession is asking for feedback on the whole thing (via employers and student committees etc). Make your voice heard! The more feedback they get, the more likely it is that they'll investigate things to change - classic example being publication of pass marks coming up soon, which only came about due to students' requests.

10. aditya

aditya Member

Failed CA3 April attempt and my only hope of reappearing is next year as all the slots are full! Have to wait a full year to get my FIA.
    I think the institute should open slots for booking every half year. The other alternative of booking two attempts in advance is heavy on the pocket.

ccc84 likes this.
  11. Edwin

Edwin Member

The IFoA has reopened the August session for those close to qualifying and have squeezed me during August 24 - 25. Nov session also extended, you can now apply.

aditya likes this.