Assumptions

Discussion in 'CA3' started by mammam87, Jun 29, 2014.

1. mammam87

mammam87 Member

I've gotten contradictory advice about this - do we state down our assumptions on the slides themselves? Or do we just say that they are in the Appendix, which aren't shown when presenting?

Also- if we are to present to a finance manager, what isn't deemed to be a jargon? eg. would using the terms present value/discount rate be acceptable? I've seen past years examiner's reports where the examiner commented that the candidate lost marks for dumbing down too much.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
  2. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

You've probably found conflicting advice because there's no one right answer! It depends very much on the importance of the assumptions.

For example, a very important assumption that's critical to an explanation should be put on the same slide as the information itself. It should also be mentioned in your speech. A less important assumption could be included later on as a 'virtual appendix' - but if it's even less important, then you might even choose to omit it entirely. Think about what the audience needs/wants to know.

Jargon - again, it depends on the question. A very new finance manager with a background in non-finance (for example) would definitely find these terms to be jargon. However, an experienced finance manager (for example, a student actuary) might understand them - at least in part. I have to say that usually, dumbing down is what you need - it's quite rare in my experience for students to dumb down too much in Subject CA3.