Assignment X2

Discussion in 'CS1' started by ykai, Mar 11, 2023.

1. ykai

ykai Ton up Member

1.Q8-(ii)
    Can the constant of all discrete MLEs be obtained in this way?

2.Q9-(iii)-a
    I don’t understand where the number 9 comes from, and whether there is a contradiction between the above P(Y<=9)=0.005 and the following P(Y>=9)=0.005? I don’t understand the answer here.

2. Andrea Goude

Andrea Goude ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Ykai
    1. The constant is terms not involving the parameter of interest, it maybe a combination term for discrete data but you may have to think about the particular observations you have been given and the probability of observing the sample when formulating the likelihood.
    2. Do you mean Q12iii ?
    9 is the total number of claims from the sample of 10 policies
    This is the exact confidence interval for lambda, see Ch9 Section 4 Confidence Intervals for binomial and Poisson Parameters, p17
    Hope this helps, thanks Andrea

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    ykai likes this.
  3. ykai

ykai Ton up Member

So why do we do this in this question?
    The 50 variables in this question are from the exponential distribution, but why can we get constant this way?

2.I have found out the blind spot. Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  4. Andrea Goude

I have edited my response to make it clearer

1. We have discrete events, 50 observations, and we can use the exponential distribution to calculate the probabilities of the observations being within those ranges, but they can occur in a variety of orders so that is where the constant term is coming from

ykai likes this.
  5. ykai

ykai Ton up Member

So the constant obtained by this method is only approximate and not precise, right?

6. Andrea Goude

You can work out the constant precisely by considering the combination term, but as we don't need it, as it would be lost when we differentiate, we write this as a constant

ykai likes this.
  7. ykai

ykai Ton up Member

Thank you ,I have understood!

8. CHUN LEONG LEE

CHUN LEONG LEE Keen member

Quick qn on Question 2.14x

Average claim size = 680, and the solution is treating it as Lamda = 680. Would like some clarity on why Lamda = 680 when the expectation is 1/ Lamda (I am viewing that average claim size = mean)

Thank you.

9. CHUN LEONG LEE

Ps (could not edit the last sentence in time)

I am viewing that the average claim size of 680 refers to the expected value E(X) = U

Thank you.

10. Andrea Goude

Xbar is 680, that is used in the question, which as you say is the mean, which is 1/lambda
    I don't see the lambda=680 you mentioned in the solution?

11. CHUN LEONG LEE

Apologies, i could not edit my first question

So in this case when they say the average size = 680, they are referring to E[X] = u = 1/lamda, and not lamda? Just want to confirm my understanding here

12. Andrea Goude

Yes E[X] = mu = 1/lambda