ASET vs REVISION NOTES

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by jack93, Jul 9, 2014.

1. jack93

jack93 Member

I was just wondering whats the difference between these two and what's better for increasing my chances of passing.

I had purchased Aset for ct1 and i liked it instantly. However, never had the revision notes, so m confused whether to buy it this time.

2. Edwin

Edwin Member

Always go for ASET, revision notes is for people that don't have time to study.

3. jack93

jack93 Member

Thanks for the quick reply Edwin

So ASET it is :)

4. Edwin

Edwin Member

For me it is, but others may advice you differently.

5. entact

entact Member

Disclose highest mark??

Just wondering (and I'm not thinking of myself here as I'll be lucky to scrape a pass tomorrow) does the Institute let you know if you achieved the highest result in an exam?

I know there are prizes for certain subjects but do they include a note in your pass letter saying you got the highest mark even if a prize is not awarded in your subject?

They should do but I don't think they do.

6. Edwin

Edwin Member

There is nothing wrong in thinking you got the highest marks, there are exams when i felt like that too.

But I don't think the institute does let people know, they probably don't want to turn exams into sports.

7. morrisja

morrisja Member

Going back to the OP, I'd say the ASET is better as well. Revision notes are a convenient resource if you don't have the time or desire to make your own notes.

8. jack93

jack93 Member

I have realized that making notes helps me concentrate on the core reading way more than I usually do. So, even if I am bit lazy to make detailed notes, I atleast scribble some important points down so that I remember stuff.

I hope my notes + ASET is enough to clear off CTs :)

btw, on a different note, what do you think is best with CT3?
    CT4 or CT5 ?

I read CT6 builds upon the concepts of CT3, so I m leaving tht for the next attempt, (that is if I pass these exams).
    I am planning to give one of the above, but can't really make up my mind.

I have heard CT4 is the toughest CT.
    Given that I am planning to give 3 this attempt, along with CT1, I am worried whether CT4 would be the best fit with the other two.

That leaves me with CT5, but some say its better to do CT4 first as 5 has some related concepts.

What do you guys suggest?

9. april2105

april2105 Member

I never got ASET but got the revision booklets. I dont think they are there if you dont have time.
    I only looked at them once I was done with the CMP.

I found them useful as they:

1. only showed the core reading, which was good for revision in the end, to cut out all the commentary.

2. Let you practice questions by type. This is by far the biggest point FOR them I think. The questions also go back some way so there's loads of question practice there.

(I really should get commission from ActEd!)

On the other point, I think I'd do CT4 with CT3. CT5 also involves lots of calulcation practice, same as CT3, so doing CT4 will be a bit different and keep things interesting.

10. jack93

jack93 Member

But do they have comments on the questions like alternative solutions or tips for solving them?

Or is it just a bunch of similar type questions with solutions (without any comments)?

Btw I was also thinking of going with CT4.

Moreover, your point that it's a 'bit different' is very important to me. Coming from a non-statistical background, CT3 has a lot of new info to digest. So, I m hoping to study something that's a bit different than basic statistical concepts.

So, if CT5 involves a lot of calculation like CT3, I'd better go with CT4.

11. asp_act

asp_act Member

Revision notes are just a bunch of similar type questions. As you rightly said, it is without any comments or alternative solutions. So, ASET will serve your purpose. Regarding finding similar questions could be done with question grid at start of ASET.

Just a point of caution on your choice of subject, CT4 does have high level statistical applications. So you may first want to be comfortable with basic stats in CT3 befote moving on to CT4, CT6 especially if you are from non stats background. If you want to pick up additional subject, consider CT5 or CT7.

12. jack93

jack93 Member

Now I am really confused LOL

So, you are saying CT4 has more statistical application than CT5?

To be frank, I cannot run away from statistics in this field and I am starting to like it, now that I am understanding it. I have already covered more than half of CT3 and I have become quite comfortable with the material. As I mentioned earlier, re-reading the concepts has helped me a lot.

Plus I have time atm, coz I just finished my graduation. So, I am looking for something different than CT3 which won't make studying monotonous.

Btw m not going for CT7 because its easy and I would like to keep it for the next attempt. I have already studied a lot of economics at my uni, so I feel I can finish it up later along with a hard CT.

13. asp_act

asp_act Member

Yes, I feel CT4 has more statistical applications that CT5. But if you feel comfortable then can go with CT4 too.

If you prefer to study something different then be rest assured CT5 is something very different from CT3.

14. jack93

jack93 Member

Yea I am looking for something different, so CT5 looks good.

But can I do it without passing CT4? Like does it have any concepts introduced in CT4?

15. asp_act

asp_act Member

Although CT5 does build on some concepts introduced in CT4 and should be taken after CT4 in ideal case, but should cause no problem studying for CT5. So, CT5 without CT4 is pretty much doable.

16. jack93

jack93 Member

Ok, I read the syllabus too and CT5 definitely looks different, so I am going with CT5 this attempt.

Plus I guess ASET is best suited for me as it comes with comments and alternative solutions.

So, everything is clear now.

Thank you guys :D