ASET Sep06 A2

Discussion in 'CT4' started by Jon Bowden, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Jon Bowden

Jon Bowden Member

Hello all

Confused by CT4 ASET question SEP06 A2 (iii) and solution.

Two-state homogeneous Markov model, with transition rate σ from state A to state B. Question (iii) reads:

"If σ=3, find the value of t such that the probability that no transition to state B has occurred until time t is 0.2"

The solution states the probability is found by evaluating P[Waiting time > t] = 0.2, but I thought it was P[Waiting time < t].

And now I don't know why I even though that.

Can someone help me understand this. I know it has to do with the density function, but it's the direction of the sign that I can't figure out.

Thanks

Jon

2. John Potter

John Potter ActEd Tutor Staff Member

S06 A2

Jon,

When you say that you don't know why you thought that, I don't either! :)

If no transition has occurred by time t then we are still waiting for the first transition. P[Ti>t] = P[staying in state i for time period t]

In the alive-dead model, if the grim reaper is still waiting for a person to die, then that person must have stayed in the alive state!

Exercise for you to practise this principle: Prove that, for a time-homogenous Poisson process rate lamda, the waiting times are exponentially distributed with parameter lambda. {Hint: start by proving the prob of staying in any state for a time period of t is e^minus lambda t}

Give us a ring if you get stuck 01707 275776

Good luck!
    John

3. Jon Bowden

Jon Bowden Member

John

Got it, we're waiting for the waiting time variable to be greater than t and looking for the value of this t that makes this probability 0.2.

It's too much waiting around for me.

Thanks very much.

Jon