Article Format

Discussion in 'CA3' started by jct22, Dec 2, 2014.

1. jct22

jct22 Member

Hi there,

I've got my CA3 exam next week and am looking for a bit of help.

In the institutes guide to CA3, it mentions that we could be asked to write a letter, memo, report or article.

I'm OK on how to set out the format for the first 3, but not sure how to go about structuring an article. I've never had to write and article before so not quite sure what format would be expected for a CA3 exam. I haven't come across an article question in any of the past papers i have been doing on the institute's website.

Are there any tips you could give in regards to how to structure an article? I'm not quite sure how you would address the audience or sign off an article.

2. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

In terms of the format of an article, you should have elements very similar to a letter or an email, i.e.:
    • a title
    • an introduction (in this case indicating for whom the article is intended and a 'signpost forward')
    • headings
    • a conclusion/summary section
    • an indication as to the author's name, the capacity in which they are writing and the date of the article. This might be achieved by a final paragraph saying "Peter Smith, the author of this article, is an actuary working in....". Alternatively such infomation about the author might be part of the introduction.
    For an article, the same 'rules' apply in terms of what the examiners are looking for, e.g. answering the needs of the recipient, use of simple language (especially no jargon!) e.t.c.

One of the questions in ActEd's Mock Exam A requires the drafting of an article.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014