Are you a fake? (best version)

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by avanbuiten, Dec 4, 2005.

?

Are you a fake? (best version)

1. Yes, please don't tell anyone!

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. No - how very dare you!

19 vote(s)
    61.3%
  3. I don't know? - Who am I? What is this thing called love?

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

Are you keeping it real?

How many of you are simply going through the motions? After talking to some friends I have begun to realise that perhaps it is not uncommon for people to sit exams that they know they will almost certainly fail. Someone in a ct3 exam told a friend of mine they'd only read half the course - yet they still turned up to write the exam. During my 105 exam (old syllabus) the guy behind me proceeded to munch through an assortment of crisps and sweets (to my annoyance) until he left after 30-45 minutes.

There are many reasons I guess why this can happen, such as:

(1) Not studying enough (as intended) - not following the plan.
    (2) Not studying at all - maybe partying too much instead (Yes, it is tempting).
    (3) Realising the exam is simply to difficult for them at this time.
    (4) Giving up.
    (5) Taking too many subjects.
    (6) Personal catastrophic event.
    (7) Alien abduction (happened to a mate of mine! - more common than we probably think).
    (8) Government implant (usually in the head) telling you wrong answers (my mates girlfriend's cousin from Bognor Regis had this happen to him).
    (9) Other.

Seriously though, I think this does happen (better for the rest of us) but how wide spread is it?

Be honest with yourself and answer.

The important thing to note about this question is that I am not asking you if you are incapable, but simply, have you or are you, entering an exam with the knowledge that you will almost certainly fail?

(maybe you'll get it next time)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2005
  2. Cardano

Cardano Member

When I sat 106, the girl diagonally in front of me fell asleep at her desk. Before the exam I heard her talking to one of her friends saying she had been up all night revising

3. FatSam

FatSam Member

When I did 104, the guy in front of me wrote his name on the paper, twiddled his pen and then left after 30 mins. I didnt see him write much at all.
    It is a shame for the person when that happens cause I doubt that many people would turn up if they didnt actually care.

4. npc_100

npc_100 Member

Faculty student had to appear for an exam at least every two years to maintain student status, I know of people who had taken a break from the exams, who still had to turn up to an exam every second year just to stay as a student even knowing they had no hope of passing anything.

5. Gareth

Gareth Member

it's not uncommon for people to take study days for two subjects and only intend to pass one.

study systems that provide study days for first two sittings are subject to this abuse more...

6. jimjoachim

jimjoachim Member

Between finishing university and starting my new job in a bid to stay in the way of studying and boost my chances of getting study support at my new job I decided to "teach myself" CT8. I had just completed a module on Financial Engineering at university and therefore covered a lot of Hull and thought why not!!!

Before I realised that it was not gonna happen for me without the adequate study time and acted notes it was to late to withdraw from the exam!!

I deceided to keep the work going to the end and turn up for the exam and prey for a miracle.

Needless to say the miracle didnt happen. I left after 45 minutes after dabbling at 1 or 2 questions.

Come results time I had people coming up to commiserate on failing the exam (FD for the record).

This time I decided to prepare properly!!
    And start with CT1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. I started studying for a subject, realised I needed to resit another for the fourth time when results came out and didn't have the study leave left to drop the first one. I focussed entirely on getting my nemesis and left the other subject for after.

I didn't munch on crisps to annoy anyone else, but I did leave after half an hour.

8. Abi

Abi Member

Anyone out there got an employer who requires (aka forces) students to take 3 CT subjects per sitting? I've heard that this happens but don't know if it's one of those urban myths.

What proportion of these students actually study all three? Surely this must contribute to the number of 30 minuters.

9. Gareth

Gareth Member

i was forced to do 3 x 100 series per sitting at an old job...sucked. You really could only pass 2 out of 3 with any reasonable certainty.

10. KatherineH

KatherineH Member

I think it's daft that some employers force their students to sit three or four exams at a time because unless you have no life apart from constant working and studying then you just aint gonna pass more than two at a time (unless you are a complete super-brain, which, let's face it, most of us aren't).

If there are employers reading this that do insist their students take like a zillion exams at once - why?? I don't think it improves the chances of passing them all does it? Surely it just means that they're going to take four study sessions per week studying for the two exams that they are going to pass?

My employer lets me take one or two at a time. And I've passed all but one first time. However, I do love hearing stories of people walking out after the first half hour cos I know that the lower other people's scores are - the better chance of passing I have!

11. Dha

Dha Member

In my company, everyone sits 3 CTs in the April sitting. Most pass all 3. It's just the done thing.

12. Rosencruz

Rosencruz Member

When I first started the exams I did 3 in 1 month. (101,103,107). I did o.k. on 101 and 107 (FA,FA), but when it got round to 103, I realised, that I hadn't read all the course in time (I still had the last part to cover the day before).
    However I saw sense, and didn't turn up for the exam. After all, you only get 4 attempts why waste one?
    I had the advantage though, I wasn't on a study scheme and didn't need to justify my behaviour to any one except myself.
    3 CT's in one sitting is do-able (but not in 1 month, unless you have previously studied it).
    But be realistic, if you don't stand a chance, don't turn up, it doesn't count.

;)

13. hi5

hi5 Member

Could I come to your company to give the April sitting??