April 2013 Qtn 5ii

Discussion in 'SP7' started by Lewin, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Lewin

Lewin Member

Dear Tutors
    On the ASET workings,you have divided the discounted workings by the OS % at start of the year, i.e. for underwriting year 2012, answer is divided by 98.7%...then multiplied by total outstanding amount as at 31-12-2012
    Why are we doing this, since we are only interested with future development?

2. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Lewin,

Please don't address your questions to tutors. This forum is a place where students can ask help from each other, and so improve their own understanding. By asking us directly, it discourages others from answering.

To answer your question:

We take the incremental paid development pattern (5, 2.165, 2.825 etc) and use these to derive a profile of the percentage paid in each development year: 1.3%, 5.1%, 7.4%, 25.2%, 32.1%, 20.3%, 8.7%.

Now let’s think what happens if we apply these to the 2012 UY Year:

5.1% of the total claims will be paid in the next 12 months (ie in 6 months’ time on average). Similarly, 7.4% of total claims will be paid during the next 25-36 months (ie in 1.5 years’ time on average), etc.

But 1.3% of total claims have been paid already, so the proportion of unpaid claims to be paid in the next 12 months is 5.1/(100-1.3). Similarly, the proportion of unpaid claims to be paid in 1.5 years’ time is 7.4/(100-1.3), etc.

You should now have enough information to tackle the remainder of the question. Have a go and see how you get on.

Finally, plenty of similar questions have came up in the past, so I advise you to have a look at these once you have understood what’s going on. You could also look at:

• Subject 303, April 2001, Q9 part (iv)

• Subject 303 September 2003 Question 7 part (iii)

• Subject ST3 September 2007 Question 6 part (iv)

Lots of students can’t do these sorts of questions, so you’ll be ahead of the game if you can get the hang of it!

Jammy and Hemant Rupani like this.
  3. Lewin

Lewin Member

Thank you Katherine
    I will attempt to complete on my own, and try your recommended questions