April 2012

Discussion in 'SP5' started by andy orodo, May 1, 2012.

1. andy orodo

andy orodo Member

Any thoughts on where to take the Q4?

Also, 7 (v) seemed to be quite easy for only 8 marks, that's got me worried a bit. It can't be that easy surely! Something had to go wrong there.

Overall I thought that it was pretty tough, couldn't remember covering debentures at all

2. dgw201

dgw201 Member

I thought it was strange paper. I actually had to check the cover sheet to make sure they hadn't given me the wrong exam! Debentures aren't covered in the course, but I know the examiners' report will say "students are expected to have a firm understanding of general investment terms...etc". I think it's unreasonable to have such a big question that hinges on terminology (everyone knows what a bond is), but maybe I'm just bitter. There did seem to be some really easy questions too that also didn't really relate to the course - with such a lot of core reading, you'd think they could come up with some decent questions based on stuff actually in the course.

3. SingingSong

SingingSong Member

Quite! I just found this paper to be funny:

Q1 - 10 marks on debentures - CT2?
    Q4 - 14 marks on economic (maybe?) - CT7/CA1
    Q5 - another 14 marks on CGT - which part of the course does this come from, maybe CT2 again?

Was this really an ST5 quiz or am I missing something completely?!

4. CannonRee

CannonRee Member

I thought Q4 was hinting at the credit crunch but was generally a random question, would have expected it in the SA paper more than here!

Q5 was more about application of the tax material - I didn't think much prior knowledge was known here.

Quite a few of the other questions had an early part pointing you down one route, then asked you something slightly different in second part, e.g. asked Beta of a portfolio then gave you st.devs rather than covariances.

5. elliepoon

elliepoon Member

how to use standard deviation in that question??

6. dgw201

dgw201 Member

I'm pretty sure it's just the standard CAPM formula? I think it's given in the formula book.

7. andy orodo

andy orodo Member

I found that in the book by chance, without that it was a definite fail. My Acted tutor told us that CAPM simply won't be examined. That serves me right for listening to that type of speculation!

8. elliepoon

elliepoon Member

i just found out i failed this exam this spring..:mad: :mad: :mad:
    is this sitting a very easy paper...?

i read the notes many times and found the exam questions reasonable.

but i still failed..

now i am not even sure where to improve..:(

any suggestions? thanks!