April 2012 question 10

Discussion in 'CT3' started by johnpe21, Sep 23, 2012.

1. johnpe21

johnpe21 Member

Can you please explain how does he derive the probability of function of S? i cant figure it out. He says that s could be 0,1,2,3 or 4. How does this come from ? and hence how does he calculate the function ??

Thanks a lot

2. bapan

bapan Ton up Member

Hi

Here S = X1 + X2 .. +Xn where Xi is the number of cars involved in i-th accident and n is the number of accidents.

If n = 0, then S = 0 (obvious !)
    If n = 1, S can be 1 or 2 i.e. either 1 or 2 cars can be involved in the accident
    If n = 2, S can be (1, 1) if 1 car is involved in each accident, (1, 2) or (2, 1) if 1 and 2 cars are involved in either accidents, (2, 2) if 2 cars are involved in each accident. So, S can take value 2, 3 or 4 here.

Thus, possible values of S is 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4

Trust this helps.

3. Lewin

Lewin Member

Please explain how the probability fuctions have been computed i.e how is p(s=4)=0.2*0.3^2 ?

4. Lewin

Lewin Member

Tutors?

5. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Apologies for the delay. My colleague who's currently responsible for this forum is on holiday - but I'm aware of this now and will watch this forum!

For S=4 cars total the only combination that produces this is 2 accidents each with 2 cars, ie N=2 and X1 =2 and X2 = 2.

Hence, since they're all independent:

P(S=4) = P(N=2)P(X1=2)P(X2=2) = 0.2×0.3×0.3

6. Christina

Christina Member

Tree Diagram

Try drawing out the outcomes in a type of tree diagram - I found that that made the probabilities alot clearer ;)