April 2010, Q4 (i)

Discussion in 'CT6' started by Balvinder Singh, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Why is the probability that an individual claim involves reinsurer not the:

Integral (from M to infinity) of (X-M) times f(x)dx?

2. Chandrima

Chandrima Member

Did you mean to ask why reinsurer's part is : integral (from M to infinity) of (X-M).f(x).dx ?

3. Actually the solution says that the probability involving reinsurer is:

Integral (from M to infinity) of fx.dx

But I think it should be:

Integral (from M to infinity) of (X-M) times f(x)dx

Can someone correct me if Im wrong?

4. Chandrima

Chandrima Member

What you are thinking is theoretically correct if it is asked to find out reinsurer's expected amount of claim. It takes part when claim amount (X) exceeds M (retention). But it also depends on what exactly the question asked to find. Can you please post screenshots of both question and solution?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2017
  5. Question:

The number of claims N on a portfolio of insurance policies follows a binomial
    distribution with parameters n and p. Individual claim amounts follow an exponential
    distribution with mean 1/λ. The insurer has in place an individual excess of loss
    reinsurance arrangement with retention M.
    (i) Derive an expression, involving M and λ, for the probability that an individual
    claim involves the reinsurer.

Solution:

Let X represent the distribution of individual claims. Let denote the
    probability that an individual claim involves the reinsurer. Then

P(X>M) =

6. contd.:

P(X>M) = Integral (from M to infinity) of pdf of exponential distribution.

7. Chandrima

Chandrima Member

Yes it is correct. They are finding out the probability of a claim that involves reinsurer. If they would ask to find expected amount of claim handled by reinsurer then you had to use integral (from M to infinity) f(x).(X-M).dx