April 2009

Discussion in 'CT6' started by actuaryre, Apr 28, 2009.

1. actuaryre

actuaryre Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013
  2. CannonRee

CannonRee Member

A lot of bookwork questions, and nothing seemed particularly complicated. I mucked up a few of them but wasn't expecting to do very well anyway.

3. Demolition

Demolition Member

I don't recall there being more than 100 marks available - but i have to admit that i didn't count!

4. Hamilton

Hamilton Member

Grand

it was ok i felt

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
  5. steph

steph Member

hmmm....

Is it just me who found that paper impossible?!? I thought that was by far the the hardest CT6 paper over the last few years! I studied really really hard for that exam and was very confident going in. I got over 80% in my mocks (Apr 08 & Sept 08) but found that exam impossible! Please tell me I'm not the only one??

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

6. Aussie K

Aussie K Member

Overall I found the paper to be OK.

I was stumped by the minimax question though - None of the options seemed to be dominated?

Was annoyed I couldn't get the Gamma as an Exponential question out under exam pressure ><

Time Series - took a stab but not really confident there.

Rest of the paper was quite decent I thought.

I wonder what kind of raw mark you would need to pass this subject?

7. Hamilton

Hamilton Member

emmm

think no one dominated in the minimax question

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2009
  8. Here's my notes on the questions and how the marks were divided up:

1. Liability insurance - principle characteristic & 4 distinct types [4]
    2.Gamma GLM - natural parameter and scale parameter [3], canonincal link [1]
    3.Bayes - Beta posterior for theta - 3 policies, 9 claims [2], derive estimator under all or nothing loss [4]
    4. Decision theory - complete table [5], any dominated? [2], minimax [1]. i thought no insurance at all was dominated by proportional insurance
    5. Sum of 3 compound poissons, individ claim distb exp (1/4); prove E=E[E(S/lambda)] [2], show E[S/lambda]=4lambda and var[S/lambda]=32lambda [4], calc E [2], calc var [2].
    6. Run off triangle ACPC [10]
    7.Monte Carlo acceptance-rejection - derive algorithm [5], proportion accepted [1], is it more efficient to use uniform? [4]
    8. Ruin theory - explain what U(t) is [2], explain phi(U,t) and phi sub h (U,t) [2], compare 3 pairs [6]
    9.XOL insurance, M=1+k - find E[X] and var[X] and simplify expressions [5], find p(S>700) given lambda=500 and N distb Poi(lambda)
    10. Time series - show not stationary [3], show differenced X is stationary using autocovariance function of Y [7], show differenced process is invertible and bigger variance than Y [5]
    11. NCD criminal offence question - min thresholds [4], p(claim) [5], stationary proportions [7]

I thought it was a fair paper - topics as expected given syllabus and nothing deeply horribly unattemptable. But i was seriously pressed for time and not sure i managed to do enough to scrape through.

Best of luck to all