April 2009

Discussion in 'SA5' started by SummerBub, Apr 28, 2009.

1. SummerBub

SummerBub Member

Anybody did this?

What are your thoughts?

2. anon2

anon2 Member

Easy. Especially Q2.

Agree?

3. SummerBub

SummerBub Member

I wouldn't sound so confident like u and say it is easy.

the most i'd go is doable and that doesn't mean i'll pass it!

4. anon2

anon2 Member

It's OK to be confident if we're anonymous. ;)

Glad it went well for you too.

5. SummerBub

SummerBub Member

it didn't go that well for me though...
    cos i think my arbitrages were wrong and generally didn't write enough for the marks given.

6. little engine

little engine Member

Hi there.

I wrote SA5 for the first time this session. I thought the paper was doable as well. But all the people that I have spoken to thought it went well. So that doesnt help with the confidence! What do you think the pass mark would be for this exam? How much would be enough to pass?

7. SummerBub

SummerBub Member

That means u got to be roughly the top 30% of the cohort. Pass mark doesn't mean anything. It's the relative performance, especially when everyone thinks it is doable.. i don't know why there are not much response in this thread. Either everyone thinks it is so easy or there are really few people doing this.

8. little engine

little engine Member

only thirty-odd people wrote institute last session and i think around 10 passed. was around the same number for the previous session.

9. Apple

Apple Member

Yes I read the paper and thought it was straight-forward compared to the past papers....that doesn't mean that I have picked up enough marks to pass. In my experience finding a paper 'easy' means you've missed half the points. They obviously wanted a very deep, wide and varied response to the questions....in exam conditions I don't think I hit that target. The next day I thought of lots of obvious marks that I didn't write down on paper :(

I spoke to an examiner once and they reassess the distribution of marks to ensure that the majority fall into the FB failure and the advice was that an FA generally means you need to polish up on the bookwork....with only 25 or so people sitting, the distribution won't be possible and the pass rate is banded 25 to 45% in general.....

My weakest area was the start of question 2, I found question 1 closely mirroring the course and the latter part of 2 was observable in the economy, but the particular arbitrage I just made up....could cost me the paper ;)

10. Edwin

Edwin Member

Does anyone know if question 2 was trying to mirror a real life case study?

I was tempted to think LTCM but couldn't go far?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015