April 2009

Discussion in 'SP4' started by Nadeem_Ladha, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Nadeem_Ladha

Nadeem_Ladha Member

How did you find the paper? It seemed reasonably fair, but quite time constrained. I sometimes found it difficult to see what was being asked, but that's no different to most pf the past papers. After the exam, I did realise for a few of the questions what they were getting at...but a little bit late! lol

2. Lones

Lones Member

I thought it was okay, apart from question 8 where I couldn't think of nearly enough points to gain the marks. I struggled a bit with the time, and spent far to long on the calculation question.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2009
  3. Nadeem_Ladha

Nadeem_Ladha Member

ditto on the calculation question

4. Schnorbitz

Schnorbitz Member

Well, full marks to the staff at Croydon Clocktower for deciding to start refurbishing the bar at 27 minutes past five! :mad:

I agree with what was said above. The calculation took longer than it deserved (only once I was almost at the end did I realise that the deferreds liability was exactly half the actives!). And the last question was tricky to find many points for.

I noticed two grammatical errors in the paper. There was a missing apostrophe somewhere in the middle of the paper, and in the final question the imperative of "suggest" was "suggests". Don't these people read CA3?

And what did you make of the wording of the employer covenant question? "How should the trustees react to this worsening of the employer covenant?"

With weary resignation.
    With raised eyebrows.
    With rolled eyes.
    With a fainting fit from the lady trustees.
    With violence.
    With the cockney trustees saying "Wot the blahdy 'ell are we paying you for?"

Six points for three marks?

5. Nadeem_Ladha

Nadeem_Ladha Member

yah that trustee question was the one which caused me some difficult...after the exam, it occured to me that you may have had to include things like...well it depends...on funding level...on prudent basis...maturity....size of scheme relative to company...priority of debt etc...if there are any examiners reading this...pls add those points to my answer :eek:)

6. bosham_belle

bosham_belle Member

Now that i've started studying SA4 I'm realising that quite a few of the questions look like straightforward SA4 bookwork - particularly the question about the roles and responsibility of Trustees. Isn't ST4 supposed to be non-UK specific? Lots of countries don't have the concept of Trust law and this wasn't covered specifically in the ST4 notes.