April 2009

Discussion in 'SP2' started by gibbsm1, Apr 21, 2009.

1. gibbsm1

gibbsm1 Member

how did you all find it?

Hopefully it went ok.

I found the paper time pressured.

Also I thought some of the questions were on a very similar theme. All in all difficult to judge how it went so fingers crossed.

2. Ricegirl

Ricegirl Member

I agree. I thought that the paper didn't cover much of the course and the same sort of theme appeared in some of the questions - how many questions were there about immediate annuities?!

I didn't think that time pressure was too bad but that's probably because I tried to stick to set times for each question and when the time was up I moved on. I could have gone back to quite a few of them and written some more but didn't have time to. I did at least get something written for each question.

I thought the investment question was the real nightmare though - I think I probably interpreted it incorrectly so I didn't really understand what they were asking. The unusual question about second hand markets was interesting too, as was the numerical question.

As with all the written exams, I wrote a lot but have no idea if it was enough to pass.

3. Rosencruz

Rosencruz Member

I found it odd that there were 2 questions about risks but none about mitigating them. Especially as I think 95% of the same points scored marks in both questions.
    I think I got the dividend question right (~£2083?), but I guess I'll have to wait for the examiners report for that.
    Too many annuity questions: obviously the only area that the examiner had experience of!
    The second hand-endowment market was tricky, I think very few people will score well on that one.

4. My dividend turned out to be a small figure... like 100. Oh well, guess I'm rewriting in September. Who else will be rewriting with me?

5. gibbsm1

gibbsm1 Member

I got a little over £100 too, but probably only worth a couple of marks at most

6. ebayz

ebayz Member

Hello

I am doing St1 next week and CT4 soon. I was wondering if someone could please tell me what kind of topics came up in the st2 exam. A list would help with some detail on each question . I was told St1 and St2 are very similar, so I was hoping similar stuff may come up in my exam next week.

Also did you feel any of the questions were related to the financial crisis in any way either explicitly or in disguise?

What topic was the numerical question on and how many marks was it worth?

Cheers

7. Meldemon

Meldemon Member

Strongly recommend against spotting a paper this way - although there's some overlap in subject matter the papers will have a different focus...

8. Blitmund

Blitmund Member

Famous last words, but I think it was pretty fair. No curveballs, no topics that hadn't been examined for the past 8 sittings (apart from the short question on contribution method of bonus distribution), and the "trick" question about secondary markets wasn't too scary.

Though I'll probably be eating my words come results day!

If you're under time pressure that probably just means you've got plenty to say, which is a good thing for the later exams!

Though speaking of time pressure, the invigilators where I was stopped the exam a good minute early, which doesn't sound a lot but could cost a vital mark or half mark if you're still writing at that point. I wonder whether it'd be worth mentioning this to the Profession, or would that just be whingeing?

9. gibbsm1

gibbsm1 Member

It is worth mentioning. It could be costly

I think that exams should use a clock that counts down to 3 hours (like the one on the eiffel tower counting down to the millenium)

that would leave no doubt would it?

You paid £250 to enter, you want to get your money worth!!

10. jimlad

jimlad Member

Easy paper.

Couldn't do the first question but it was smooth sailing after that.

Lots of annuities, lots of risks.

Either I'm amazing or they'll have to raise the pass mark, surely?

11. AngelFace

AngelFace Member

There were a fair amount of bookwork type questions and then a lot of similar themed questions, I think the trick was to apply it as closely to the situations described as possible.

The dividend question came to just under £100.

I personally didn't like the second hand market question - was interesting and I now have a lot more to say - just not as nice to having to think through a lot of issues under the time pressure, so don't think I'd said enough...

12. ebayz

ebayz Member

st2 2009

can someone please supply me with list of topics that came up in the st2 exam.
    I am sitting my st1 exam in two days.
    The information may be useful.

thanks

13. gibbsm1

gibbsm1 Member

Are you being sarcastic Jimlad?

or do you find that you anger people regularly throughout life?

14. jimlad

jimlad Member

I genuinely thought it was an easy paper as compared with previous sittings. Apart from last Septemeber, which was even easier.

Not here to upset anyone, just to air my views.