April 2008: Q9

Discussion in 'CT8' started by jensen, Apr 18, 2008.

1. jensen

jensen Member

Anyone has any idea how do you prove this statement?

x.C(K1)+(1-x).C(K2)=>C(x.K1+{1-x}.K2) where K1<K2 and x is some fraction

2. After the exam I thought about it and it may be as follows. The rhs is a call option on the average the 2 strike prices, so need to think about the situation when the underlying price is between these 2 strike prices.

3. jensen

jensen Member

i just thought it had something to do with strike prices inversely related to the prices... but dont know how to tie it all together.

4. Anna Bishop

Anna Bishop ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Jensen

There are a couple of ways that I can think of for solving this.

Method 1

The question boils down to a lower bound for a derivative price. Ch 9 suggests that we use no arbitrage methods for this sort of problem. So the trick is to think, what if the inequality is the other way around and then show that the assumption of no arbitrage (which is given in the exam question) is contradicted. So what if, instead:

x.C(K1)+(1-x).C(K2) < C(x.K1+(1-x).K2)
    where K1<K2 and x is between 0 and 1?

In order to make a profit from this arrangement you need to buy the cheap side and sell the expensive side now (at time t say). So buy x call options with strike K1, buy (1-x) call options with strike K2 and sell 1 call option with strike K3=x.K1+(1-x).K2 at time t. Because of the way the inequality is set up, this should give us a profit at time t.

But what happens when the options get to expiry (at time T say)? We can show that the payoff on our investment strategy is always greater than or equal to 0. What is the payoff on expiry? It is:

x.max(ST-K1,0) + (1-x).max(ST-K2,0) - max(ST-(x.K1+(1-x).K2), 0)

You then need to try all the different possible combinations of ST relative to
    K1, K2 and K3. For example, if ST>K1, ST>K2 and therefore ST>K3, the payoff is x(ST-K1) + (1-x)(ST-K2) - {ST-(x.K1+(1-x).K2)} = 0.

Keep going along these lines, with different combinations.

Because the payoff at time T is always >=0, yet we made a profit at time t, we have shown there is an arbitrage opportunity. Therefore, the assumption of no arbitrage is contradicted and it cannot be true that:

x.C(K1)+(1-x).C(K2) < C(x.K1+(1-x).K2)

Finally, it must therefore be true that:

x.C(K1)+(1-x).C(K2) >= C(x.K1+(1-x).K2)

Method 2

Write each of the option prices using the risk-neutral pricing formula:

C(K1) = exp(-r(T-t))E[max(ST-K1,0)|Ft]
    C(K2) = exp(-r(T-t))E[max(ST-K2,0)|Ft]
    C(K3) = exp(-r(T-t))E[max(ST-(x.K1+(1-x).K2),0)|Ft]

Then x.C(K1)+(1-x).C(K2)
    = x.exp(-r(T-t))E[max(ST-K1,0)|Ft] + (1-x)exp(-r(T-t))E[max(ST-K2,0)|Ft]
    =exp(-r(T-t))E[max(x.ST-x.K1,0) + max((1-x).ST-(1-x)K2, 0)|Ft]

You can then show that max(A,0)+max(B,0) >= max (A+B, 0) by considering possible combinations of A and B.

The result then follows.

Phew ...

Did you do anything like this in the exam?

5. jensen

jensen Member

wow, Thanks Anna for such a comprehensive solution.

No, i dont remember my solution is either of method 1 or 2 so there goes my score..

6. John Potter

John Potter ActEd Tutor Staff Member

No arbitrage

Jensen,

More generally if an equality or equality should hold by the principle of no arbitrage then we can prove so by contradiction.

Let's say that A >= B. Prove it.

Your Starting point is to assume B > A. This means B is expensive and A is cheap. Buy A, sell B, profit at time 0. Then get out your deckchair, sit back and relax. You will find in all scenarios that your portfolio has a value >=0. Do the maths and you will find this, (that's where A >= B comes from!)

THis is arbitrage, contradiction, THE END.

That's the rough wordy version of Anna's elegant solution. It gives you a starting point for all questions of this sort, I imagine that where to start was the biggest problem on this qn!

John

7. MindFull

MindFull Ton up Member

Apr 08, #9

I know this is a very old post, but I'm trying to understand a part of this question. If ST<K1<K2, how do we assume that ST<(xK1+(1-x)K2)? I can see that K3 would be less than K2, but I'm not sure why ST<K3.

Thanks a bunch.

8. didster

didster Member

K3 is a weighted average of K1 and K2, and thus must be at least as much as the minimum K1 which is greater than ST.

Formally, K3 = xK1 +(1-x)K2 > xST +(1-x)ST (since K1>st and k2>ST)
    K3>ST

All assuming 0<=x<=1

9. MindFull

MindFull Ton up Member

Thanks much didster. :)