April 2006

Discussion in 'SA1' started by DDP, Oct 13, 2005.

1. DDP

DDP Member

Is anyone on this forum writing SA1 in April next year?

I'm looking for someone to exchange questions, comments, etc. I did it for ST1 and it really helped :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2005
  2. silenactive

silenactive Member

we are in the same way

I am going to write the april examination of SA1. we could share something and discuss something.

The following is some questions which concerns me:
    1. what are the difference between long term insurance company and short term insurance company? Maybe a composite insurance company is really exist, and then what the tax treatment?
    2. About the realized and unrealized capital gain of equity

We know that for BLAGAB taxation only net indexed realized capital gain of equity are taxable, but for a short term proprietary insurance company all realized and unrealized capital gain of equity are taxable no indexation. For PHI taxation, only realized capital are taxable no indexation.

What are the basic and essential reasoning for that difference?

3. For BLAGAB taxation why does the net realized losses not offset investment income?

4. Schedule 1 of the Insurance Companies Act 1982 sets out the classification of long-term business, and for taxation of long-term insurance companies, there is also a definition of long-term business.

What is the relationship between them?

3. DDP

DDP Member

Hi!

I haven't really started yet (only reading through first few chapters of the notes). I'm actually waiting for the September exam results, so I may not even write in April.

So I'm definitely not able to answer your questions at this stage :(

I know, however, that the ActEd notes view LT health insurance as IP, CI and LTC, while ST health insurance is PMI only.

I don't work in the UK, so I have no idea of the taxation at this stage. Where are you located?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2005
  4. silenactive

silenactive Member

I am now in China Main Land. And you?

5. DDP

DDP Member

I am in South Africa. Did you write ST1?

6. silenactive

silenactive Member

I did not write ST1, but for the final subject i choose the SA1, which will be my main direction.