1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

April 2006 Question 8 (ii) & (iii)

Discussion in 'CT6' started by Paapi, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Paapi

Paapi Member

For part(ii:confused: ) you are asked to calculate the posterior distribution of theta.
    I thought you would derive the posterior the normal way wich is prior multiplies by the likelihood interms of x (as is always the case).
    But here they have taken X = total number of claims in year i = n1Y1/c, and then shown the likelihood interms of this new X = n1Y1 /c

How do you know that you need to use this result of X?

In part (iii) The first line to this solution is -

E(Y|y1,y2) = c(1+ r)^2 * E(X3|y1,y2)

Whats the logic behind this result?? This question seems to be the hardest in the paper.

2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

This was a messy question. I do recommend our ASET or revision notes (from which I copy bits of this).

How would you know? It's not clear - but it does say given y1 and y2 where the Yi's are the total claim amounts but we have the number of claims has a Poisson.

For year one:

• the average total claim amount per policy was y1
    • the overall total claim amount for the whole group was y1n1
    • the overall total number of claims was y1n1/c (as each claim is c)

So X1 = y1n1/c ~ Poi(n1θ)

Similarly since claims are (1+r) more expensive in year 2 we will have:

X2 = y2n2/c(1+r) ~ Poi(n2θ)

And for year 3 we will have:

X3 = y3n3/c(1+r)² ~ Poi(n3θ)