April 2005

Discussion in 'SA5' started by mtm, Apr 5, 2007.

1. mtm

mtm Member

Hi

I wonder if anyone could help me with a problem I have in question 2 of April 2005. In part (iv) the solutions, under first point of list, read "they (current bondholders) are required to buy the securitisation (i.e. they are the same investors". Am I missing something here - why would the current bonholders have to be the investors who buy the new bonds issued from the securitisation? I thought the securistisation would be open to anyone in the market?

Then in (iii) the solution calculates the new return on equity expected as
    2(11-9/4-6/4) - where does this formula come from? I suppose it has something to do with what the solutions said in (iv) above? I understand that if the equity return =14.5% (increased from 12%) that the gearing will have increased but I first have to understand the formula that calculates the 14.5%!

Please help - thanks

2. mtm

mtm Member

oops

Sorry

I see this question has already been answered in the FAQ.

Colin - How is one supposed to figure out that we sell the securistisation bonds to the current bondholders (although this is not quite the same as the FAQ which just talks about the consolidated accounts)? Nowhere in the question does it say this - its one thing asking hard questions, its a totally different thing to ask a question like this.

Another thing, in the FAQ - at the end it is written that "We are not asked to assess the effect on WACC, but ..." - surely the question "...impact on the capital structure of the company" requires the effect on D, E, D/E and on WACC?

Thanks

3. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

April 05

I agree it is difficult to work this one out. The question does say that the investors are mainly institutional (not private). Since the institutional investment market is quite a small place (ie those responsible for the decisions number in hundreds rather than millions) then you are trying to appeal to the "same" investors. Also I dont think the examiners report means quite literally the exact same investors. Institutional investors tend to think along the same lines in the approach to their investments and it is a smallish community, hence the mention that we are appealing to the same investors.

I am not sure why the WACC wasnt added to the examiners report here. Maybe it was thought that most of the hard work had already been completed. In an exam situation I would have been tempted to add it anyway.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  4. asbes

asbes Member

I don't think I understand what happens here with the securitisation transaction.

The formula in the examiners report "2[11 - 9/4 - 6/4]" looks like they have a capital structure after the securitisation of:

Equity = 1,000m
    Debt = 500m (this is the old debt which costs 9%)
    Debt = 500m (the securitised bonds)

I thought that in doing the securitisation they will remove certain properties from the balance sheet (by selling them to a SPV) and the SPV will issue bonds of 500m. The company will then use the 500m they receive from the SPV to buy new property assets.

I didn't think the securitisation will impact the capital structure of the company. It will only affect their assets. The only impact on the capital structure will be the possible downgrading of the company's bonds.

There is a comment in part (i) which says the Company becomes the holder of equity in the SPV. I don't know if this may be linked to my question. I also did not see why this was obvious.

Hope someone can help.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2008
  5. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi Colin,

Kindly work with me here;-

I think the 2*(11-9/4-6/4) comes from the following logic;-

Equity = 1,000m
    Debt = 500m (this is the old debt which costs 9%)
    Debt = 500m (the securitised bonds)

Ra = debt/(debt+equity)*Rd+equity/(debt+equity)*Re

0.11 = 1000/2000*9*1/4+6*1/4+1000/2000*Re, then solving for Re.

Note the 1/4 above comes in to realise that it will be unfair to attribute 1/2 the gearing to old and new debt, without realising that the old debt is in total 1/4 of the total portfolio and hence the new debt.

Alternatively you can think of it this way;-

debt/(debt+equity) = (1/2) divided by two to make the old and new debts share.

Colin am I making any sense? However what I still don't believe is making the securitised bonds contribute to additional 500m debt, I wasn't expecting the gearing to change when assets are passed to the SPV.

Tries looking at the FAQ thread, couldn't see anything relating to this question?

6. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Not sure I follow the equation above. There may be some bracketing missing somewhere, but I dont get the logic of the 1/4 or the fact that there is a 6*1/4 standing on its own there.
    You are obviously happy that the existing cost of cap is 11%, which is assumed to stay (because the company is not changing sector or business area). If we raise equity, we would have 3/4 equity and 1/4 debt in the new expanded company. So the new equation is:
    11% = 3/4 * Re + 1/4 * (return on existing debt). We can solve this to get Re = 11.67%.
    If the company raises debt, it has 1/2 equity and two tranches of debt each making up 1/4 of the new enlarged company. So:

11% = 1/2 * Re + 1/4* 9% + 1/4 * 6% which solves for Re = 14.5%
    We would expect the Re to be a bit crazy when we load up on debt.

The WACC, if it were asked for, would be found by mising the various tranches of capital, and remembering to bring the tax benefit of any debt into account. So for example, with equity raised the WACC would be:

3/4*11.67% + 1/4*9%*(1-T)

I agree with you about the securitisation being off-balance sheet. It is not on the company's BS nd so doesn't really impact WACC or Re. But that would make it a very simple question, so the logic is that the examiner wanted to see through the SPV and look at the overall impact on profits of the combined entity. (Or maybe it just wasn't considered!)
    Hope this helps

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  7. Edwin

Edwin Member

woops, its actually 0.11 = 1000/2000*(9*1/4+6*1/4)+1000/2000*Re thanks...

...whatever the examiner was thinking!