April 2000 Question 6

Discussion in 'CB1' started by yatsa, Apr 9, 2023.

1. yatsa

yatsa Keen member

The below mentioned paragraph is from core reading and this doesn't seem to match with the exam question.
    To qualify as an intangible, the asset must be identifiable, and the company must have the power to obtain economic benefits from it.
    Research and development costs: For example, ‘research and development’ expenditure must initially be treated as an expense and can only be capitalised as an intangible asset if commercial feasibility is established.
    Concessions, patents: A company can buy the rights over a particular product or discovery. A few companies show such rights as an asset. For example, a television company that owns the franchise to broadcast over a certain period of time might class this expenditure as an intangible.
    Trade marks and brand names: Similarly, a few companies claim that their trade marks and brand names are valuable assets which should be shown in the statement of financial position.

Which of the following assets are not intangible fixed assets?
    I Research costs (correct as per solution)
    II Trade marks
    III Development costs

2. Lynn Birchall

Lynn Birchall ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi
    I wonder whether this is partly due to the age of the exam question. I don't know exactly what the Core Reading said about this point in 2000!
    The subtle distinction being made in this question in relation to 'research and development' costs is that 'research costs' represent the initial component that must be treated as an expense and 'development costs' represent the part that can be capitalised as an intangible asset if commercial feasibility is established.