Approach to CP1 questions

Discussion in 'CP1' started by Mayowa Okulate, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Hi everyone.

Does anyone have any general tips for approaching CP1 questions, especially bigger questions? (i'm sure i'm probs not the first to ask this question)

I've often found myself answering the wrong question or answering the part a in part b. For example, in Paper 1 of April 2018 Q6, part i asks about factors to consider before repricing, following the announcement of a new disease. Here, i had discussion on validating the announcement, checking that data is available and setting out the reasons why mortality will be different from the home population (ie mortality factors). Whereas it appears these were either irrelevant or more suited for part ii.

Most times i still end up scoring c60% of the marks but i would have wasted time writing lots of points that don't score any marks, so not very efficient. It seems to me that, in CP1, trying to figure out what the examiner is getting at is half of the battle.

2. Helen Evans

Helen Evans Ton up Member Staff Member

Hi Mayowa

As a starter I would say in questions with multiple parts always make sure you read all the parts before you start working on your answers. This can help you work out which points are most relevant to which bit and in some questions you can get a feel for the general direction of the question which can also help with working out what to cover.

In many questions the examiners will be prepared to give you cross credit. So for example if you write a point in part (i) that they have on the marking schedule in part (ii) but it isn't unreasonable to talk about it in (i) they will give you credit as if you had written that point where they have it on the marking schedule.

In terms of writing points that do not score, it may be that some of the points covered are a bit second order for the marks on offer in the question. Where there are few marks on offer it is particularly important to think about what is absolutely key about the situation. If you could only mention a few points what would they be? This can help with avoiding the irrelevancies.

Alongside this you need to carry on with what you are doing at the moment, lots and lots of question practice!

I hope this helps.

Helen

Anu Joshi likes this.