Apprentice - Series 2

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by TheArtfulDodger, Apr 14, 2006.

1. For those of you watching the 2nd series, what do you think of it?

Personally, I can't believe that Syed is still on the show. If he did get a job at Amstrad, I think people who've seen him on the show and have dealings with Amstrad wouldn't be comfortable dealing with him given all the nonsense he comes up with to try and make a sale (eg trying to convince a potential new car buyer that they could sell the car for a profit in 2 years!).

I reckon it'll either be Paul/Ruth who win it.......

2. citizensmith

citizensmith Member

I actually think Syed has a good chance of winning...
    He's a bit rough at the edges, but with a bit of guidance and direction he will make a top apprentice. Ruth and Paul are my other picks, but I think in Alan's eyes Syed out charms them both by a mile. Plus Syed is from a humble beginnnings in the East End - like Sir Alan....

3. Yeah - he seems to go on about his humble East End beginnings all the time! He just doesn't come across as someone you'd trust when buying something from him. And I don't think there's been a single task where he's been top performer even when he's been on the winning team. All he's got is the ability to 'talk the talk' rather than anything else.

Like the last series, Sir Alan may be torn about who to offer the job to. Tim won the last series but Sir Alan also offered a job to Saira and the other 2 who made it to the last 4. Apparently they filmed 2 'you're hired' type boardroom sessions for the last episode - one giving Tim the job & the other giving Saira the job as he just couldn't make his mind up!

4. Abi

Abi Member

If you were a multi-millionaire, would you really want to employ anyone who takes part in a reality TV show? Or would you look at the TV show as paying for whatever muppet you end up employing (plus a bit of profit!).

Personally I don't think that this series' participants are as good as last year's. They seem a bit weaker/dafter/all-talk-no-do.

5. Gareth

Gareth Member

personally i'd never work for alan sugar, he's not exactly a big winner in the IT industry...Amstrad has always been the leading loser in every market it participates in...

the US Apprentice series seems to have much more impressive candidates and working for Donald Trump can't be bad...(he's worth $20 billion)

6. p51ngh

p51ngh Member

Donald Trump can't be worth more than $5 billion. Infact having read "Trump Nation" by Tim O'Brien, it's questionable whether Trump is a billionaire at all!

I agree, these UK Apprentices aren't world class... I also doubt if alan sugar would survive in an American business climate... he'd become alan salt over night!

As for who is going to win... I've placed my bet with the bookies on Sayeed

7. Sauny Bean

Sauny Bean Member

I don't think Syed will win. They identified him as a "liar" in the last episode, so it's just a waiting game before he goes. Sir Alan might like his roots, but he won't want someone who consistently exaggerates the truth or always buts in.

I think Ruth will win with Ansel second. Dunne is the weakest out of the remaing ones and although Michelle's a good team player, she's not a leader. Paul will probably come third, but it all depends on which teams lose and who's in the losing team making it hard to predict the precise order of departure.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2006
  8. citizensmith

citizensmith Member

To be fair all the sales people - Ruth, Paul - tell a few porkies.... it's just Syed's lies are so blatant!

9. p51ngh

p51ngh Member

:confused:
    So if a liar won't win then Dun has chances of winning. I've changed my mind... Dun is going to win... I don't want Sayeed to win, but I have already placed my bet on him.

It would be funny if the winner refuses to work for Sir Alan!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2006
  10. Dun winning? I don't think so! Sir Alan keeps going on about how he can't seem to figure out what Dun actually does. I reckon it'll either be him or Michelle that goes in tonights episode....

11. p51ngh

p51ngh Member

See... I told you Sayeed would win!! :)

12. Yeah...and he kept going on about how it'd be Sir Alan's loss if he was fired!

13. kazikizi

kazikizi Member

I rekon Sayeed would make a good prime-minister... don't you think?

14. Sauny Bean

Sauny Bean Member

Well, I was almost right about Ruth and Ansel (in the end it seemed a very difficult decision for him to choose between the 2 in the penultimate episode). Obviously Sir Alan was privy to some information about Michelle that the public wasn't about her family that only became public knowledge after the series ended. How else could he have had this "gut feel" about her that he mentioned in the last episode?

This year's winner and last year's winner have a lot in common, ie their drive to succeed all came from their wish to provide for their families. Sir Alan obviously therefore goes for people who come from exactly the same background as himself, so most of the applicant's for the next series might as well not bother unless they fit this criterion.

It's certainly been very interesting seeing how management hiring decisions are made!

15. Sauny Bean

Sauny Bean Member

Attractive, huge drive, but perhaps a lack of judgment of Michelle in picking Syed? ... as The Times put it this weekend, "... Michelle collected her £100K a year job, the only thing Syed has managed to collect since the series ended is a string of driving offences..."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2006
  16. Abi

Abi Member

I hope the maternity leave package is good...

17. Sauny Bean

Sauny Bean Member

Will Sir Alan really want to go through this 12 week ordeal again? - he was certainly bitten well and truly this time. Still - I'm sure he learnt something new about new recruits even with his experience. And it's questionable as to whether a very interesting job is being offered at the end of it anyway... (see Sunday Times article mentioned above).

Still, it's superb entertainment and a great break during those pre an post exam times.