Applying for the exam...

Discussion in 'CT1' started by Gbob1, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Gbob1

Gbob1 Member

on the application form it says that if I'm retaking the exam I should quote my previous ARN. But as I'm not retaking do I not have a ARN? Do I just leave it blank?

Thanks.

2. bystander

bystander Member

Your ARN (actuarial reference number) is your membership number in the profession. It isn't exam specific and stays with you whilst ever a member irrespective of status

3. Gbob1

Gbob1 Member

Right ok. But I'm applying for CT1 as a non-member so I don't have a membership with the profession. Will I just need to leave it blank because I don't have an ARN?

4. Gbob1

Gbob1 Member

Sorry if it seems like a really stupid question. I've looked everywhere and they all say that I require an ARN. I've clicked on the application form for CT1 non-members but they still require an ARN. But I thought you only get an ARN once you've applied as a member of the institute !? :confused:

Help.

5. Louise

Louise Member

The form seems to say that you only fill in the ARN if you're repeating the exam. I'd say you're fine to leave it blank but if you want to be sure you could contact the exams team: examinations@actuaries.org.uk

6. Gbob1

Gbob1 Member

Thank you for answering! I started to get a bit panicky when I read that an ARN was required on all the various sites I went to. But they were probably talking about students registered into the institute. But either way I'm going to double check by phoning them :)

7. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Would you mind letting the forum know the answer to this as other students are similarly getting panicky!

8. Gbob1

Gbob1 Member

I phoned the enquiry hotline this morning and she said it was absolutely fine to leave it blank and that we'll get allocated an ARN after applying for the exam. Phew!

9. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Thanks for letting everyone know!