Anyone writing CT1 in September

Discussion in 'CT1' started by Fancyme, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Fancyme

Fancyme Member

Hello everyone!

I'm a new user and new to Actuarial Exams. I would like to know when is the right time to start studying for the exams. I am writing in September CT1 and CT3 if I'm not exempted for it.

I don't know if some of you waited long to hear whether you have been accepted or not. I waited a while. I applied in February the 14th and to tell you the truth nothing has been settled even now. I heard on the 16th of March that I got accepted and at the moment I can't apply for the exemptions because I am waiting for my confirmation in writing which has not arrived. I am not pleased at all.

It will be my first time sitting for the exam and I didn't do any Actuarial exams except for Mathematical Statistics. How much do you guys put on studying everyday?

Thanks!!

2. Gareth

Gareth Member

well you find your social life starts to dwindle, you spend most sunny days sitting inside, whilst your friends enjoy themselves (who were clever enough to pick a profession that doesnt require exams and still pays as good).

eventually once you have qualified your friends will have forgotten about you, and you will have become the stereotypical actuary with poor interpersonal skills (and the highlight of your year will be the SIAS dinner)

Only joking of course...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2006
  3. Fancyme

Fancyme Member

well you find your social life starts to dwindle, you spend most sunny days sitting inside, whilst your friends enjoy themselves (who were clever enough to pick a profession that doesnt require exams and still pays as good).

ha ha ha ha ha!! You're making me laugh! Well I think it's true in a sense of maybe losing some friendship but the interpersonal skills, no ways..

Well I'm really serious Gareth, how many hours did you put daily? I understand that depends on the person but it helps to see how many hours other people put. Well I'm an indoor person, I don't go out at all! I sleep all the time. So at least now I'll have something occupying me. At times I don't have motivation, what really motivates you? I see that you are quite far with your exams!!

4. Gareth

Gareth Member

nah just kidding, although there are an extraordinary number of actuaries that cannot communicate.

i put in about 3 hours a night on average for the ST subjects. Back in the CT subjects cramming seemed to work well, and I could enjoy most of the year, just studying hard for 3 months at a time - this doesnt work for ST subjects :-(

5. Fancyme

Fancyme Member

True about that, not only actuaries, almost educated people (meaning Scientist), they can't seem to explain themselves properly.

Cool!! Because I work, I have put aside two hours after I come back * 8pm and another two hours * 4am- 6am. I haven't really done that but as of today I'll be doing it! As much as I haven't gotten my material yet because they are taking a while to reply.

I am aware that things changed but I have the changes, so at the moment I'll be studying for CT1.

Thanks anyway!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2006
  6. cheeming

cheeming Member

Long wait

Dear Fancyme,

Hi! I just registered with the Institute as well. I am staying overseas, Malaysia. I send my application sometime back in November 05. The application was processed in mid-Jan 06 but until now, I have yet to receive my package.

I think they are batching up the applications, so the earliest you will receive is end March, if you are lucky. That's what I was told anyway, after e-mailing them

My advice = don't wait and start studying. As for exemptions, give them a e-mail to confirm. At least you won't need to study for for CTs that you are exempted.

Good luck with your studies. I am starting with CT2 & 7 cause my Maths is totally rusted.

CM

7. Fancyme

Fancyme Member

Cool CM!!

I have decided to start with CT1 and CT3. As I said if they don't give me an exemption for CT3. At least I would sort of understand what I am doing. CT1 it's new but it looked manageable and my Maths is not rusted at least.

Chat to you soon!

8. cheeming

cheeming Member

Contact???

Hehe...guess you are doing the opposite of what I am doing...

Well, PM me your e-mail if you are ok to do so.

At least I can consult you if I face any problems in studying CT1. BTW - What is the exact calculator model you are using. The Institute website doesn't specify an exact one, so I am at a loss on which one I should be using.

Oh - and if you ever need help on CT2 [when u get started], lemme know ok. I am pretty good at it ...err...to say more would be too revealing. :cool:

CM

9. Olfin Bedwere

Olfin Bedwere Member

I'm due to sit CT1 in April, a full 5 years after completing my Maths degree.

Due to a combination of the Institute's great turnaround times with processing applications (4 months?!) and my own belligerence, I decided to register for two exams despite only having a month to learn both. I wouldn't recommend it, needless to say.

I think I'll have a decent stab at it, and am hoping to pass, but jeez, I wouldn't wish the last couple of weeks on anyone. Been a bit of a nightmare.

I reckon you should be studying for around 15 hours a week at least a couple of months before the exams.

My $0.02...

10. cheeming

cheeming Member

Superman or Wonderwoman?

Olfin,

Wow you are really gung-ho...Well good luck.

:)

If what I heard is true, it's important to apply to sit the exams asap so you they can rectify any errors. Had a friend who had to defer sitting for the exams cos' of some registration problems.

CM

11. Olfin Bedwere

Olfin Bedwere Member

It feels more like "Stupid Man" right now...

I'll let you know, i have CT7 tomorrow.

12. cheeming

cheeming Member

Best of Luck!

:eek:

Good luck to you Olfin,

Do let me know how it goes.

Get a good night's sleep.

:))

13. Fancyme

Fancyme Member

Wow!! Good luck to you!

Finally people I have received my form today. So I can apply for exemptions and be a student for real. Yippie after a long wait. I just hope I won't wait that long for my exemption or application form.

Until I get this going, my heart will be on ease!!

I'm smiling though! :)

14. cheeming

cheeming Member

Long wait

Fancyme,

How long did you wait to get your student pack with the confirmation letter?

I have been waiting for over 3 months now, and still no letter in sight....

[sigh]

15. nemesis

nemesis Member

It took me 3 months to get my student pack from the institute, the wait was only that short because I bombarded them with so many emails I think they got fed up and sent it just to make me go away, not very impressed with them so far. Glad to know I'm not the only one to have trouble.

Good luck when you finally start studying! :)

16. cheeming

cheeming Member

What a long wait!

Nemesis,

Where are you staying? In UK?

I am in Malaysia... does it mean I have to wait for over 1/2 year b4 I get my student pack...
    This is really slow. :mad:

I am starting CT1 now.... I believe you took it this April right? How was it?

Did you have to prepare very hard for it?
    :eek:

Thanks.

CM

17. nemesis

nemesis Member

I am in the UK, I could have walked barefoot to oxford and got my student pack faster than they sent it!

Provided they have emailed you your ARN number you can still get on with studying, The most important thing in the student pack is a copy of the handbook and this is available online at the institute's website. I applied for my exam this time before the pack arrived.

CT1 was very tight timewise, I prepared quite well but I probably should have done more earlier so it was a little more ingrained before the exam, that way I wouldn't have had to waste all that time thinking! :D

18. cheeming

cheeming Member

So des ne!

Nemesis,

No wonder you got it so fast.... Hehe

Thanks for the advice, I'll stop dilly-dallying and start studying right away....Glad to hear you are ok with CT1.

As for your comments, I think we all say that AFTER the exams. Hehe...if you are like me, I always tell myself to start early but end up procrastinating... :rolleyes:

Oh BTW- I posted something on exam techniques on the other link. You might want to have a look, esp. on the more wordy papers.

Ciao.