Any tips on exam technique and speed?

Discussion in 'CT5' started by Harashima Senju, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Harashima Senju

Harashima Senju Ton up Member

as the title

2. Actueire

Actueire Member

Only spend a certain amount of time on a question, using the marks as a guide e.g spend 1.6 minutes per mark. You might have heard this one before but I only came to realise how important this is since I started to sit actuary exams, so I can't stress this rule enough. You should be strict in applying this rule and not allow yourself to go over whatever limit you set. This really goes a long way in the exams, and allows you to address each question...so buy yourself a digital watch if you don't have one already! Usually people advise using 1.5 - 1.8 minutes / mark ... I wouldn't advise 1.8 as it doesn't really work in practice (for me anyway!) so I usually go 1.5/ 1.6.... (I'm not sure if this allocation is the same for CT5??)

Another thing that works for me personally is to tackle the question paper starting with the easier questions first. This usually settles me down at the beginning of the exam and helps me answer the tougher questions with a clearer mind...I find that you trip up much easier on the tough questions if you try and attempt these at the start of the exam when your mind is a bit flustered, and you usually won't have time to read over or correct any mistakes you may have made at the end of the exam!

Again hope you find these useful, you probably heard them all before but I think being strictly applying these set of rules to your exam is also an important exam technique in itself too

Harashima Senju likes this.
  3. Harashima Senju

4. Ellen

Ellen Member

Since there is a lot of flipping through the tables back and forth, I have noticed in my revision that putting those sticky flags/post it notes titled AM92, D's, 4%, 6%, PA, etc for the different sections helps a great deal with swifter navigation. So I'm considering using the technique in the exam. Dedicating two minutes of reading time to do that will be good use of time I think and saves a lot of time from the disorientating nature of the word "start" in the exam room. :rolleyes:

Harashima Senju likes this.
  5. Harashima Senju

wow great tip! I have found myself flipping through to the tabulated annuities and discount factors in the tables:(. I guess I will just calculate those values and apply your tip for the rest of the table.

Saving the value of Dx+n/Dx in the calculator memory is handy when you get a question that requires you calculate endowments