1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Any comment for CT4(103)

Discussion in 'CT4' started by pig, Oct 12, 2005.

1. pig

pig Member

:confused: I thought the paper was really hard. what do everyone else think?

2. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

I thought it was ok.

The first wordy question was ambiguous. Q5 & most of Q7 were difficult but this was ok because I felt the other Q's were really nice, especially Q4 which was so standard I could almost do it with my eyes closed.

I think I did all-right.

Although this one was a resit for me since I failed April 05 so maybe I felt it was ok because I had the advantage of doing the course twice (and maintaining interest in it - unlike ct2).

I will probably fail now !

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2005
  3. pig

pig Member

Q1 is completely ST style... I agree Q4 was really straight forward but chances are Q5 and Q7 are the make or break questions and people who do well on them are the one who pass... also, people doing the half paper would be put into a disadvantage as there are less time available to think the question through....

4. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

If you get 60% or more they will pass you on any CT subject except possibly CT3/2/7.

Anyway I've spoken to quite a few people who did ct4(103) and they all had problems with the same questions as I did. So I'm not worried about other people doing well on those because the large majority haven't!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2005
  5. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

Examiner's Report

Just thought I'd let CT4(103) people know that the actual examiner comments (e.g "Candidates answers were particularly disappointing with many failing to ....") for CT4(103) is on the report for CT4(104). :confused:

I will be resitting this paper which is very dissapointing as I thought I had done well. Given that only 35% of us passed (the lowest CT pass rate this sitting) I guess a lot of you will be in the same position as me. :(

Have a nice day!

6. Sauny Bean

Sauny Bean Member

I'm in the same position. As the only one I got stuck on was Q5, I thought I'd have passed it, but haven't.

Some you pass and don't expect to, others you don't pass when you think you have.

It obviously depends on how many pass, After all, if you're in the 50th percentile, in one exam you would pass and in another you'd fail.

Persistency and trying a different approach if you don't pass I think is the key. Failure in last April's exam could have been put down to ambiguous questions (as detailed in the Actuary). This time I'm going to go for exam counselling and find out why.

Make it your goal and eventually you will get there. Good luck!

7. Dha

Dha Member

The low pass rate is kind of worrying for me, given that I'm sitting it in April. Was the pass rate for CT4 this low last April as well?
    I'm dreading CT4!

8. jonbon

jonbon Member

the result is appalling...CT4 has just 35% pass rate....while others have atleast 54%+...can't believe how they can pass so less people...i am very disappointed with the result...it seemed that my exam went well..but apparently not...i am gutted... :(

9. Muppet

Muppet Member

april pass rate

For info: April pass rate was 42%

10. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

I think I failed because I incorrectly answered Q1 (I think) - the one about why the probability may not be correct. I feel that this question was to open ended and that it was difficult to judge how it should be answered. :confused: But since I am on holiday at my parents' home I don't yet know how bad my failure was. I am expecting an FA or FB (given that it is out of 50 marks an FB isn't that bad in a half exam in my opinion).

I think April 06 will have a high pass rate. If you look at CT8 it has had two previous sittings with very low pass rates, but this sitting was 54%. That is an increase of 25% on April 05. :) However, this could be due to the fact that maybe the majority of takers for that exam were resitting - so you'd expect them to get it on their 2nd or 3rd attempt.

Because I thought i'd passed I had not planned to resit. Since I've taken on CA1 there is no way I will be able to resit CT4 in April so will have to wait till September now. Such is life as an acturial student! :rolleyes:

I am contemplating sitting the whole CT4 exam rather than just CT4(103) as most people I spoke to who passed reckon they they did better on the 104 half. Am I crazy to contemplate this? :eek: Who knows?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2005
  11. jonbon

jonbon Member

same is my plight :(

12. baract

baract Member

resit

I was thinking of that, I wont do it though because if I don't pass CT4(103) next september I will have to sit the entire Ct4 anyway. If things go the way they did in the last sitting thats where I will end up.