Am I the only one ?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Ryan, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Ryan

Ryan Member

Am I the only one having problems with the admission officer?

I have been waiting for my Student Pack since February and it's June now. On average 4 out of 5 emails I sent to admission team were ignored and I only sent another one after at least 3-5 days.

I learnt that there is only 1 admission officer, so what can I do if she decides to ignore me altogether? :( I am in need of the Supervisor Form... :(

2. jeaneu

jeaneu Member

Have you tried ringing them? Sometimes it works...

3. Dha

Dha Member

I joined last year, and it was a nigthmare. The fact that 1 in 5 of your emails isn't being ignored is good going-every email I send them is ignored. I don't think I've ever gotten a reply from them about anything. Try ringing them, but it probably wont be much use.

4. bystander

bystander Member

I think the form you are looking for is actually available on the actuaries.org website.
    At least, if you do a search on work based skills, you can get to a form that asks for who your supervisor is. The work log forms are also on there too. And a copy of the student handbook.

Have you been admitted as a member yet at all? There are cut off dates for getting membership for entry into each set of exams. So if you are sitting in Sept check this out. I think these kind of dates are under Actuarial Education/Important dates on the actuaries site.

Welcome to our world & good luck!

5. Ryan

Ryan Member

Thanks for the replies.

I actually sent her 3 emails at the same time yesterday to make sure they catch her attention, all of them have the same content about her ignoring my emails. She then efficiently (for the first time) replied me in the morning and claimed that she has been keeping me informed numerous times on several occasions.

I felt intellectually insulted, outraged that she could lie in my face. I pasted her all the emails in the past 1-2 months( 5 from me, and 1 from her). And then I asked for the date she sent out my second Student Pack(I never receive the first) which she claimed she did send out.

Now she's really ignoring me. -___-
    I could have kept my mouth shut and pretended to be stupid when she claimed that she has been doing a great job but I just couldn't take it.

6. Ryan

Ryan Member

Jeaneu,

I'll call her up if she doesn't reply me tomorrow (very likely). She's the only staff in the admission team so I'll receive the same attitude on the phone. That thought alone could simply kill me.

Dha,

it's glad to know that I'm not alone. But I'm an international student so I lack the option of driving to the institute to beat her up. lol.

bystander,

thank you so much for the info. I think that will do. Yes I've been admitted in January, even sat for an exam in late March. Thanks for reminding how frustrating that staff is. kidding.

7. Ryan

Ryan Member

Just in case I am missing out something important. What really is included in the student pack? Thank you in advance for your time. =)

receipt
    student guidebook
    supervisor form
    work log form

8. hi5

hi5 Member

V useful post.

Can anyone please let me know if the Student GuideBook is available on the internet.

9. bystander

bystander Member

If its the same as the student handbook, then yep its on the actuaries.org site.

Good luck to anyone with results in the next few hrs! The results are one thing they do tend to do on time.

10. jeaneu

jeaneu Member

You can find the Student Handbook here:
    http://www.actuaries.org.uk/files/pdf/students/sthbk05.pdf

As for ringing the admissions officer, one of my colleagues had a similar problem a few months ago - they gave him misleading information - something to do with telling him he didn't need to sit for a certain exam and then turning around and saying actually he had to.

We had a very amusing time listening to his side of the conversation when he rang them and demanded an apology.....

11. Ryan

Ryan Member

I rang just now and the answering machine picked it up.

My brain cells are dying real fast...

12. hi5

hi5 Member

Thanks for the replies.

Basically, what is the advantage of receiving the info pack, when one can download from the internet?

13. Ryan

Ryan Member

The Student Pack has more than just a student handbook. And I'm still waiting for some kind soul to answer this question of mine :

What else do I get from the Student Pack besides receipt, student handbook, supervisor and learning log forms ??

If everything inside can be found online, I can happily forget about ringing up or emailing that admission staff who never response.