alternative forum for discussionon SA4

Discussion in 'SA4' started by pankaj, Aug 27, 2008.

1. pankaj

pankaj Member

Is there any other alternative forum for discussing SA 4 topics as I find that there are almost nobody with whom I can discuss. Is anybody listening?

2. there is the one on the profession's site but I think that is even less used than this one!

3. olly

olly Member

Quite honestly you might want to give a bit of thought to the way you present yourself on this forum. Several times I have thought that your comments have been rather strange such as here:

St4 - 13-12-2005, 05:48 PM
    I am pankaj from mumbai,India.I am appearing in St4 this time.Please help me.

It would be more helpful to ask for specific help!

and here:

Thank you very much.one more thing I want to ask that whether I can get a copy of smart revise for subject ST4.I wish to tell you that I am an Indian and I am not able to pay the full price of smart revise.Please help me if possible.

Pankaj

PK TEWARI

I found this a fairly direct request and seeing that I had never met you or really engaged in communication with you previously - quite odd really. If you have been as direct with other members on this board then it wouldn't surprise me if many people were giving you a wide berth.

Regards

Olly

4. Cardano

Cardano Member

Who would have thought it, an actuarial student without communication skills

5. pankaj

pankaj Member

Hi olly & Cardano,

Thanks for both of you for sending the mail.

Olly, First of all I would like to inform you that in 2005 only I joined this forum. Therefore I thought that this forum is to help students. I felt that it is better to start from the Generic questions like I have asked it.

Regarding my request for smart revise I stated the fact plainly rather than using cosmetic words. I feel it is not necessary to meet somebody if you require help. Institute has not seen all of its members but still it helps students.(AS per my knowledge even there is no requirement to affix your photograph to get membership of the Institute). I apologise if my direct request to you for smart revise looked odd to you.

Cardano,
    I will try to improve my communication skills. Needless to mention that I have already passed CA3 and worked for the largest Insurance company for more than a decade and given best orator awards several times by different organisations for explaining insurance concepts to general public.

6. Cardano

Cardano Member

Apologies Pankaj. I wish I hadn't put it up.

I also think communication is overrated with respect to competence. What most actuaries lack is generally not communication skills but the skill to relate broader financial awareness to the relatively narrow areas in which they work.

7. Meldemon

Meldemon Member

My two cents worth...

Since the Acted study materials are protected by copyright laws, it is illegal to lend, borrow, reproduce, sell as secondhad, etc any materials purchased from Acted. Pankaj, your request too Olly clearly asks for a copy of something that he probably purchased (directly / via his employer) from Acted – I am guessing that is why he didn’t like your direct request.

On the communications point, I firmly believe that one can only comment on someone else’s language / communication skills (if not their first language) if oneself can speak their languange better than they do yours (in which case 'one' probably would not want to do so anyway)…

8. vix

vix Member

Hi Panjak

I know what it is like when you post questions needing immediate answers to assist you with your studies. Unfortunately, this forum is usually frequented by other students and we need more detail to go on before we respond. Occassionally tutors will review some of the threads and pick up on any errors in students' responses or address and unanswered issues.

I've had most success posting full details of any queries I have. This way any student can get a full picture of the query and respond immediately rather than visiting the site many times to address your query in a conversational manner. For example, I usually only visit the form once or twice a week to look at any new posts.

An alternative to this site is to send your query directly to the tutors at SA4@bpp.com. They may be able to answer your queries in a more satisfactory manner. However, they do encourage the use of this forum so students can assist each other and learn form others' thoughts. They may, therefore, direct you to this forum, particularly if they feel the query will assist other students.

As far as the materials go, we are in the same situation. Our employers will only pay for what they have agreed to in our contracts of employment. Everything else we have to pay for ourselves. Other students will probably not be able to assist you if you are unable to meet the costs of the materials and, as Meldemon says, we are unable to copy materials due to the copyright laws.

I hope this helps.

vix

9. olly

olly Member

On the communications point, I firmly believe that one can only comment on someone else’s language / communication skills (if not their first language) if oneself can speak their languange better than they do yours (in which case 'one' probably would not want to do so anyway)…[/QUOTE]

Point taken Meldemon but I was more talking about what Pankaj was saying rather than the way he was saying it. The fact is that I have tried to answer Pankaj's questions before but he sometimes asks difficult questions i.e. the above one and another example being 'what is the best way to prepare'? - well clearly if we knew that we wouldn't have any need for this forum.

Pankaj - I was also referring to the same conversation about smart revise in which I told you that you might get in contact with ActEd or the institute directly if you wanted to ask them to take your circumstances into account. Your response was to ask me to do this for you. I thought this was peculiar because you evidently have internet access and so can hardly claim that you cannot send an email for yourself. I don't wish to seem unhelpful but if you want/need something you have to be prepared to put some of the leg work in yourself.

Ultimately if you're not finding that this board is helpful to you then you have two questions to ask yourself.

a) Am I asking the right questions?
    b) Is there anywhere else better?

I was attempting to make you think about the first question - others have tried to answer the second.

I hope this is of some help.

Regards

Olly