Aggergate supply and gdp

Discussion in 'CT7' started by divyam sankharva, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Looking at the definetion of aggegrate supply and gdp they both look same , so are they actually same or is there any difference?

2. Gresham Arnold

Gresham Arnold ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Divyam

What definitions of Aggregate Supply and GDP are you referring to?

Do you mean the definitions of aggregate demand and GDP calculated by the expenditure method (C+I+G+X-M)?

Best wishes

Gresham

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  3. 1. Yaa i am facing problem between aggegrate demand and gdp also since the formula for both is C I G X-M, is it that because we consider the economy in a state of equilibrium?

2. And i read the definetion of aggegrate supply in other book it stated"aggegrate supply refers to total goods and services produced and supplied by all producers and sellers in a country during the given time period " , the difference just seem to be with the word supply , so is aggegrate supply equal to total amount of goods supply out of gdp/ total out put?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2015
  4. Gresham Arnold

Gresham Arnold ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Divyam

The broad formula for calculating GDP via the expenditure method is the same as that for calculating Aggregate Demand (C + I + G + X - M). However, the Investment item (I) is calculated differently.

If a firm produces some goods, but they are not sold and so are added to their stock then, when calculating GDP, these goods are considered to be an investment and so are included in I.

When we calculate Aggregate Demand these unplanned changes to stock are not included in I.

So, as I is calculated differently, Aggregate Demand does not have to equal GDP.

You are right that Aggregate Supply is the total amount of output in the economy.

Hope that helps?

Gresham

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015