Advice regarding optimal study/ exam strategy for passing CA1 on the first attempt

Discussion in 'CA1' started by scaron, May 18, 2011.

1. scaron

scaron Member

Having read some of the sad stories of students who spent hundreds of hours revising for CA1 only to fail due to an inappropriate approach to revision, I was wondering if anyone would like to share their successful method for tackling this mammoth subject.

I am curious as to what steps were taken by the successful students in order to increase their chances of passing CA1 at the first time of asking.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2011
  2. mattt78

mattt78 Member

optimal study for CA1

In my opinion there is a danger with CA1 of getting preoccupied with absorbing the overwhelming volume of material, but I think the main reason people fail is not a lack of knowledge, but a failure to adapt to the completely different style of exam, and completely differernt approach needed here.

The key for CA1 is learning to interpret the exam questions, and practicing generating the breadth of of ideas needed for this subject, which is such a contrast to the CTs.

For me the tutorials really helped me get my head around this, and obviously lots of exam question practice is especially important. I didn't use ASSET myself, but i expect that would be helpful here. Just don't leave it until the last couple of weeks before looking at past papers!

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2011
  3. scaron

scaron Member

Thanks for this mattt78.

Does anyone else have any other insights?

4. bystander

bystander Member

Yes definitely pace yourself. Taking marking (without vouchers) and tutorials should help keep the pace. Make your own key points notes as you go thru' - that will help at revision though you may need to add to things later. That tends to be better than relying on chapter summaries.

To me, as already stated in the last post, there is a marked difference with how to approach the exam. Yes you need bookwork (which is where pnemonics can help - again make your own to aid memory), but you must be able to APPLY your knowledge to things not directly mentioned in the course.
    Its your ability to think around/broad where most marks come, and its a bit more subjective. Hence I encourage marking so you get the style feedback. Even if its just a mock get one and use timed conditions as many feel the time pressure.

Another methid I've come across is split it over two sessions... but if you do this beware of syllabus changes.

It is possible, but I think most who get it first time do just this one, or maybe a course based subject in the same session eg CA2.

shdh likes this.
  5. klemenv

klemenv Member

I am waiting for results:eek: , so take my comments with some reserve.

Being able to apply knowledge to unknkown situation is a must prerequisite. Perhaps this is why so many comment on practising solving past questions.

Personally I find out, that for me, knowing core reading was critical.

I have read material 1st time, and did not bothering if I did not cought all/any concepts. Than I read core reading second time and practise revision notes questions. By doing that I managed to connect bits together. (Hopefully:eek: )

Looks like studying CA1 is itself an ACC process :)