Advice on studying for CT1

Discussion in 'CT1' started by jonnyw, May 14, 2010.

1. jonnyw

jonnyw Member

Further to my thread in the Careers section, I'm looking to study towards CT1 (aiming to take the exam this Sept).

As my maths is a bit rusty, I was thinking of studying the Foundation ActEd Course (FAC) first. Has anyone studied this, who can comment as to approximately how many hours need to go into completing this course? (Or is it just a reference guide to be used alongside the CT1 CMP?)

I was hoping to use the FAC to get back into the swing of things, and to ensure I have the ability before investing in the CT1 CMP

Then with regards to the CT1 self study:the help and advice for students page lists a number of things (CMP - £114, Series X Marking - £192, Mock Exam - £55, Marking voucher for mock exam - £62).

If all of the above is required I'm, more than willing to pay the £423 for it, but just wanted to check if it is all absolutely necessary/if it would be realistic to expect to prepare properly for the exam with just the CMP.

Does anyone (particularly those self funding) study with just the CMP?

Also could I just order the CMP, and if I feel I need my assignments to be marked, order the Series X Marking Pack (and the Mock exam with marking later on if/when I feel I may need it)?

Sorry to post so many questions. I just want to be prepared!

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2010
  2. tiger

tiger Member

For me, the CMP combined with past papers & examiners reports (free on the web) was sufficient.

3. bystander

bystander Member

Maybe consider just having a mock marked when you finish the course. It will test your knowledge but also give you feedback on layout etc. For example you pick up marks for audit trails if numbers go wrong, but its better to get feedback on this type of thing from an independent party.

It also tests speed which is often a big issue in exams, so if you go that route be strict with yourself

4. didster

didster Member

Acted are good enough to publish a diagnostic test, to see whether your mathematical ability is up to scratch. See the bottom of this page

That should help on whether you need the FAC.

If you can easily afford everything, go ahead and get it.
    If not, I'd suggest starting with the CMP, trying with the Q&A and a couple of exam past papers, and ordering more material and/or marking if you need it. I'd leave the X assignments until you made up your mind about marking.
    Eg, if you're borderline with your own marking, Acted markers can give you a better idea of what your marks might be when an actual marker looks at it. Or even consider a tutorial.

Most important is that you practice questions under exam conditions (this is free)

5. jonnyw

jonnyw Member

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm gonna start with FAC, then move onto CT1 CMP, followed by assessments etc if I feel they're required.

:)

6. Fooddude

Fooddude Member

Hi Jonny

I feel your pain!

I'm in a similar boat - I've just started home studying for CT1. I ordered the CMP only and I'll give the exam a shot off the back of studying that. It sounded like the right balance of detail and price.

My maths is a bit rusty since my A-Level was 10 years ago - but it's flooding back with the help of a 1960's A-Level maths book.

GL!